Cyclist assaulted by white van man.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Slightly OT, but I'm interested in the issue of cyclists banging cars/vans and the anger this results in. What is actually so awful about banging a vehicle with your hand? Is it an assault on the driver? No. Does it do damage? No. If I slap the wall of your house, or bang on your front door, do you come out and punch me, frothing at the mouth. I mean, peoples' cars are not that precious are they?. A mile from here, people leave £35,000 of 4x4 on the street every day. It doesn't seem to bother them. Why should touching a car with a driver inside get such a harsh reaction? I don't get it at all.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Just seen this. Similar one doing the rounds of facebook. Some of the comments sticking up for him is amazing! there is such an attitude. What is it with drivers and bollards. the whole point of them is that you don't overtake. make sure you take primary position through them guys. i ALWAYS do without fail. even so, this didn't stop one driver recently. unfortunately for her, she wasn't banking on me being a work colleague and catching her up in the car park.

i haven't read all the posts but i would be complaining to IPCC why nothing was done about his (a) dangerous driving (b) assault and (c) not giving his details, and then i would be contacting the legal team at the CTC.

Raging Squirrel

To be fair, if you're going to slap someones car for getting close then you've got to be prepared to face any consequences that may come from it.

That van could have belonged to anyone, an old timer who may have been apologetic, or a coke fuelled drug dealer with a knife in his pocket and a bad head from snorting too much.

I Dont condone what the guy in the van did at all, and a caution for it is a joke, but I think the best thing is to just shout something and hope they hear you and keep driving.

But at the same time.....I wouldn't sit there letting someone lay down the law at me like I was an idiot. When I watched matthews video I thought he was going to turn right.....so if it was me being lectured like that i may well have felt inclined to open the back doors of the van and push you into it.

I jest of course

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Your police friend is wrong. As is made clear here, a caution is not a conviction. They are specifically dealt with separately in statute. I know this as I used to deal with consideration of cautions and convictions for professional registration purposes.

Neither I nor they said that they are the same thing but rather that they are equivalent and effectively the same thing.

And when it comes to choosing who to believe, between a police officer who I know well and a stranger on the Internet whose only knowledge of the topic is the rules of some anonymous professional body, I'm afraid you lose.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Slightly OT, but I'm interested in the issue of cyclists banging cars/vans and the anger this results in. What is actually so awful about banging a vehicle with your hand? Is it an assault on the driver? No. Does it do damage? No. If I slap the wall of your house, or bang on your front door, do you come out and punch me, frothing at the mouth. I mean, peoples' cars are not that precious are they?. A mile from here, people leave £35,000 of 4x4 on the street every day. It doesn't seem to bother them. Why should touching a car with a driver inside get such a harsh reaction? I don't get it at all.

I guess it might be quite alarming to hear an unexpected loud bang when you're driving. In fact it'd probably trigger your adrenal glands, putting you in fight or flight mode.

Someone once threw a water bomb at my car. I got out and yelled at him. Not because he'd damaged my car (he hadn't) but because the bang was unexpected and it gave me a shock.

Raging Squirrel

I guess it might be quite alarming to hear an unexpected loud bang when you're driving. In fact it'd probably trigger your adrenal glands, putting you in fight or flight mode.

Someone once threw a water bomb at my car. I got out and yelled at him. Not because he'd damaged my car (he hadn't) but because the bang was unexpected and it gave me a shock.

argh....this happened to me a few weeks ago, only my car windows were open and the water bombs burst all over the seats, and due to the shock of it happening I saw red, went back around the one way system and round the back of were these lads were throwing from and proceeded to give a few of them a swift kicking before they all ran off

I was doing a longish, timed ride past Three Cocks on the A438 and it passes over a stone bridge with little nooks in the parapet.

I was crossing the bridge at speed when two little boys leapt out with those brightly coloured spray-pump water guns that were common a few years back.

The soaking on a hot day was welcome, but I nearly cr*pped myself in terror and also nearly crashed.

I was so, so, so close to getting into a Basil Fawlty yelling sketch, but luckily managed to restrain myself.

The memory remains terrifying for some silly reason, but I'm so glad I just yelled "Oi!" and rode on.

The boys were maybe eight and ten. I did a crap time, too.

boydj

Legendary Member
Neither I nor they said that they are the same thing but rather that they are equivalent and effectively the same thing.

And when it comes to choosing who to believe, between a police officer who I know well and a stranger on the Internet whose only knowledge of the topic is the rules of some anonymous professional body, I'm afraid you lose.

A police caution is technically a non-conviction disposal. The police can't convict anyone - it takes a court to do that. However, accepting a caution is an admission of guilt which is why cautions have to be disclosed.

Top Bottom