Cyclist assaulted by white van man.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Black Country Ste

Just seen the comment on YouTube 6 weeks until the police did anything. What were they doing for all the time. That's a stupid amount of time to wait on an assault.

IIRC it was about five weeks before my assault was disposed. Investigation teams do have a caseload and officers are entitled to annual leave, etc. It's not nice to say but common assault is relatively low priority and good quality evidence was provided. WVM wasn't exactly going to hole up in Brazil.

I understand the frustration concerning the caution. I wasn't very happy about it either at the time.

I saw pet shop boy on Saturday. I was walking past the shop with mum when he lumbered out in front of me carrying a big box. He didn't see me and my mother's ill. She doesn't know precisely what he did; I didn't want a scene, but I thought he didn't work there? I haven't ruled out taking civil action against him or the company. Just need to see a solicitor.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The chap in the van is a prize twunt, a bully and a lout and his behaviour is unacceptable.
But why didn't you say this?
the van smacking into my elbow
Why did you say you hit a pothole?
Also why did you say "If I can touch your van mate you're far too close." why didn't you say "If your van can touch me you're far too close."
I'm not trying to be an internet warrior and I'm certainly not a roadside warrior but I know I would have shouted, screamed or more likely squeaked, "YOUR VAN HIT ME!!!!!"

OP
OP
sue perb

sue perb

The chap in the van is a prize twunt, a bully and a lout and his behaviour is unacceptable.
But why didn't you say this?

Why did you say you hit a pothole?
Also why did you say "If I can touch your van mate you're far too close." why didn't you say "If your van can touch me you're far too close."
I'm not trying to be an internet warrior and I'm certainly not a roadside warrior but I know I would have shouted, screamed or more likely squeaked, "YOUR VAN HIT ME!!!!!"

The sound was my elbow being hit by his van i was looking forward and did not even see him.
I was off work for five weeks because of him
frown.gif

Check video pot hole ops p/point

OP
OP
sue perb

sue perb

IIRC it was about five weeks before my assault was disposed. Investigation teams do have a caseload and officers are entitled to annual leave, etc. It's not nice to say but common assault is relatively low priority and good quality evidence was provided. WVM wasn't exactly going to hole up in Brazil.

I understand the frustration concerning the caution. I wasn't very happy about it either at the time.

I saw pet shop boy on Saturday. I was walking past the shop with mum when he lumbered out in front of me carrying a big box. He didn't see me and my mother's ill. She doesn't know precisely what he did; I didn't want a scene, but I thought he didn't work there? I haven't ruled out taking civil action against him or the company. Just need to see a solicitor.
Will inbox you later.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shocking. I am more inclined to smack someone like this back and be done with it these days. Not had positive outcomes from either arguments or indeed leaving it and reporting the situation.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The sound was my elbow being hit by his van i was looking forward and did not even see him.
I was off work for five weeks because of him
frown.gif

Check video pot hole ops p/point

I have the same questions as Mugshot here.

While there's no doubt you've clearly been unjustifiably assaulted by this oaf, the video and audio make it seem like you glance round as the van is passing closely and then there's a bang just before it fully enters the shot, i.e is almost completely past.
I'm having trouble picturing how he could hit your elbow with such a thump and you suffer no loss of stability in steering a straight line.

GC

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am just shocked at how these road rage incidents are getting more and more out of hand. It seems the stress of the recession is causing people to boil over.
Fortunately (touch wood) I have never been physically assaulted. I have had plenty of people get out and shout in my face but I think my calm attitude has calmed them down. The guy in the video didnt even give you the chance to say anything though. He got out and immediately hit you.

I delivered a report yesterday that contained statistics about cycling related collisions. It said that driving and walked have become more safe but cycling has stayed the same for at least 10 years. Cycling isnt getting more or less dangerous, so something drastic needs to change.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm having trouble picturing how he could hit your elbow with such a thump and you suffer no loss of stability in steering a straight line.

GC
The camera does not show what his front wheel is doing. The wind turbulence and proximaty of the van might have caused more of a loss of control that is seen by him keeping his head still.

Top Bottom