Cyclist brings first private prosecution for dangerous driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fairly close to home as well... the trial continues today in Isleworth

A cyclist who was nearly knocked off his bike after a sports car driver overtook him closely at speed has brought what is believed to be the UK’s first private prosecution for dangerous driving.
Barrister Martin Porter brought the case after police declined to take action, Isleworth Crown Court heard on Monday.
LINK

What is wrong with people??? The article is about a car going at 50 in a 30 zone, thus posing as a severe risk to all other road users, yet the commenters are all about cycles needing insurance.

I would much rather be hit by an uninsured cyclist than a heavily insured driver travelling at 50 mph

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am a bit confused by him being accused of pursuing a personal vendetta - surely every private prosecution is exactly that. What matters is that Martin Porter has the skills to do it, whilst the rest of us do not. Good on him I say.
A vendetta is a prolonged campaign of revenge. Often escalating beyond the original wrong. Simply going to the law doesn't qualify as a vendetta. Its an utterly daft word to use.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The really disgusting fact to emerge is that the idiot driver is a driving instructor.

Also that's the first time I have heard of heart rate monitor info being used as evidence. His big jump in heart rate immediately after the close pass proves he was alarmed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
..and all the usual cretinus anti-cycling comments being left.

Lonestar

Veteran
..and all the usual cretinus anti-cycling comments being left.

Yup,I saw that,totally missing the point as usual.

Julia
That's a great idea. They should pay the same as people who drive electric cars. Also pedestrians should pay pavement tax, since they don't pay for the pavements they use. They should also be prosecuted if they cross the road and not use the pedestrian crossing that's built especially for them. They should also pay pedestrian insurance if they want to cross the road.

:laugh:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-for-child-cyclists-say-parents-a3197961.html

Also is this by some hypocritical parents who make the roads dangerous?

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
All because the police will not do there job properly. Am still waiting to here back from the police complaints officers, After my wife was knocked of her bike on a roundabout, the police refused to prosecute her even though the car was unfit to be on the road. Unbelievable.
Lets just hope he gets a result.

Top Bottom