1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyclist "collided with car" again.

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spindrift, 23 May 2008.

1. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Car crash cyclist critically ill

A cyclist who suffered head injuries when he collided with a car is in a critical condition in hospital.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7408681.stm

I know we don't know the details, that's exactly why these incidents shouldn't be worded this way.

2. Regulator

Regulator Treachery is noble when aimed at tyranny.

Yep! Such sloppy reporting, where the inference always appears to be that the cyclist is at fault, really pisses me off too.

3. PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

Contact the BBC and complain.

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Just did...

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

A black Range Rover too!!!!

Yeah, bound to be the cyclist at fault then!!!

6. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I see it now says "was in collision with" which is rather more ambiguous... Has it changed since people complained? If so, result.

It is of course possible that the cyclist did collide with the car, although perhaps less likely than the other way about. But "was in collision with" is better on such skimpy information...

7. PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

I contacted the BBC as well. I said the phrase "he collided with" does not suggest that the Police are still investigating, or even that the driver of the car collided with him (more likely considering the grave injuries, but it would still be unfair to make assumptions).

I received the following response...

So, thank you Mr. Jolly. Give that man a promotion!

8. CotterPin

CotterPin Senior Member

Result!
    Well done, Kaiputh!

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

That's great. Just shows that you're not wasting your time. Thank you BBC :0)

10. OP
    OP
    spindrift

spindrift New Member

Good work lasses and lads.

11. MERV

MERV New Member

Shoot I missed that.I get the point now.

Nice work.

12. jmaccyd

jmaccyd Well-Known Member

Good result. I have noticed this type of wording in the local press a few months ago when a cyclist was killed after a collision. It enraged me at the time but it didn't really occur to me that complaining would do any good. I will not let it slide next time!

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

don't get it - so is "collision" not a politically correct term now then?

14. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Nah - it makes it sound like the cyclist pedalled into the car, rather than a car driving into a cyclist. The fun of semantics. Try saying "a car collided with a cyclist" - that makes it sound like the car was the active participant and the cyclist the passive receiver.

Or replace 'collided' with 'crashed into' and see the meaning change even more clearly.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest