Cyclist crushed by bus on Oxford Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tragic/horrible accident. The Newspaper article suggests that the woman cyclist was hit by a bus when it swerved to avoid a car whose driver had done something erratic.

I don't like the way they are drawing attention to cyclists deaths - it's making cycling sound far more dangerous than it is. When a driver is seriously injured or killed, they don't draw attention to all the other recent driver deaths?

I'm not overlooking that there is a real problem here - our roads are generally far more dangerous than they should be (in my view because far too much lee way is given to drivers) but I don't see this type of journalism addressing that.

It's probably giving the layman the message that anyone who rides a bike is foolish.

My sympathies go to the young lady, I hope she pulls through.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Very sad news, but not a surprise, unfortunately. I was surprised to read she was extracted alive at all based on what I saw.

There was a pedestrian injured as well - I hope he pulls through and get well soon

My sympathies go the family of the young woman

ed_o_brain said:
I don't like the way they are drawing attention to cyclists deaths - it's making cycling sound far more dangerous than it is. When a driver is seriously injured or killed, they don't draw attention to all the other recent driver deaths?

It is purely factual - It is not uncommon around here for the papers to comment when there has been a series of fatal accidents on the both the local roads or the M1/M6/M45 A14 etc

mr Mag00

rising member
oh dear!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Very, very sad. :sad:
Another one. What the hell is going on in London? Seems an unnaturally high amount of cyclists getting off'd down there. :ohmy:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
Generally speaking it's more to do with cyclists taking up cycling who have not really got a clue how to ride a bike in traffic and making stupid mistakes.

ref: BM's vid that he posted a couple of weeks ago.

In the case of oxford street... you should defiantly take the WHOLE lane.

RIP to the cyclist

Top Bottom