Cyclist crushed by bus on Oxford Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1

There is absolutely no point in speculation - The Police will have CCTV footage from Oxford street and doubtless in the course of time the facts of the matter will emerge - but in the meantime I find it as slowmotion said - distasteful at the very least

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Debian said:
I have no certain knowledge of this incident other than what I've read but it looks as though the bus swerved into the pavement to avoid a car that pulled out in front of it.
That is definitely wrong as there was nowhere for a car to pull out from.

Let's wait for the results of the police investigation, eh?

chap

Veteran
That really is a shame, my thoughts go out to the family. Let's hope the Pedestrian pulls through in good health.

I do not have much experience of cycling Oxford Street, as I tend to avoid it, although the few times I have been there it does seem very cramped (both pedestrian and road) and potentially dangerous.

Whilst we cannot, and should not, speculate, lets hope that people are held to account - if not only for improving the streets design so that such disasters will not happen there again.

Ben Lovejoy said:
I don't see how we can say the 'same thing' happened here as any other incident as it's too early to know how this tragedy occured.

Buses involved...London Bridge/Walthamstow and this one.

So I think you are all jumping to conclusions of what I actually meant.

You are all so quick to jump on someone aren't you all?

Ben Lovejoy said:
I don't see how we can say the 'same thing' happened here as any other incident as it's too early to know how this tragedy occured.

I see you conveniently changed my wording.(I just noticed that)

Did I actually speculate what happened?

slowmotion said:
Absolutely. It is a bit early to cast blame about for this tragedy. It is also somewhat distasteful.

Where did I cast blame?:biggrin:

slowmotion said:
Sod this armchair experts stuff.

Sod this misunderstanding and not reading my post properly lark.

Crankarm

Guru
I confess to not reading properly HB :ohmy:. Didn't read far back enough. It is most unusual for you to initiate or participate in anything distasteful.

Crankarm said:
I confess to not reading properly HB :ohmy:. Didn't read far back enough. It is most unusual for you to initiate or participate in anything distasteful.

No problem dude...I just got upset with a few comments but it has passed now.I really must be more careful with what I post...and no I haven't been drinking...apart from tea :tongue:;)

I agree it is distasteful to speculate about any accident and I try to refrain from doing it...I was stupidly comparing a few bus accidents.Hence the misunderstood comments I think.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
hackbike 666 said:
I see you conveniently changed my wording
Nobody has changed your wording: you claimed that the same sort of thing happened as on London Bridge when we have absolutely no idea yet what happened in this case.

Edit: This post is also out of date now that hackbike has withdrawn his speculation

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
hackbike 666, I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding. The only feeble point I wished to make on this thread is that we do not know the facts about how a woman died today, and it may be a bit premature to speculate. There may be similarities with other tragedies, but could I gently suggest that today is not the time to do so?

That is all.

Edit: This post is out of date!

Ben Lovejoy said:
Nobody has changed your wording: you claimed that the same sort of thing happened as on London Bridge when we have absolutely no idea yet what happened in this case.

Edit: This post is also out of date now that hackbike has withdrawn his speculation

Not quite...I just know a bus was involved in all three incidents...That was all I was posting about.

My excuse is my wording was wrong as I wasn't trying to speculate what happened in the accident just the fact that a bus was involved in all three accidents.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Debian said:
I have no certain knowledge of this incident other than what I've read but it looks as though the bus swerved into the pavement to avoid a car that pulled out in front of it. If so that seems pretty poor driving on the part of the bus driver, it would have been better to brake but carry on straight, hitting the car instead of whoever happens to be in the way on the pavement.

EDIT: Just seen Mr Cellophane's post above.

Easy to say. To actually do that takes more presence of mind than I suspect many of us have - I suspect Mr Cellophane's example is probably a rare good one. Swerving, and jamming brakes on, is a pretty instinctive reaction.

I'd say that avoiding swerving was very good driving, and that swerving was 'ordinary', rather than very poor.

Funtboy

Tragic. Absolutely tragic.

I hope it alerts people to the dangers of loitering on the inside of buses and lorries. I'm not saying the girl was in the wrong here but the amount of times I see people squirming down the left side of massive vehicles is scary.

That article also mentions another girl who was crushed by a lorry on a left hand turn. How many more times must this happen?

They should do adverts about blind-spots and road positioning or something, make them quite shocking as well.

Anyway, RIP pet...

Top Bottom