Cyclist death on a90 dual carriageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A cyclist has been killed on the dual carriageway running from Dundee to Perth. First off i would like to extend my deepest sympathys to the family and any friends.

I must ask though, again, why cyclists continue to use dual carriageways when there is a reasonable option!?! There is a cycle route from Dundee to Perth which is all good A road. There is also a cycle path on the A90 which runs beside the motorway.
Whether the driver of the lorry is to blame or the cyclist is to blame makes no difference - it could have all been avoided if we, as cyclists, choose the safest option and not necessarily the quickest.

Please be careful out there and consider your route carefully.
FWIW, I cycle these roads daily and have never found the need to ride the dual carriageway. There are 2 other options both ways and both are significantly safer.

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/218044-c...g-hit-by-lorry-on-a90-named-as-charles-aimer/

I hope my view on this does not offend anyone. I am simply asking people to think twice before riding on busy dual carriageways.

RIP.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I wouldn't rule out riding on duel carriageways full stop, they come in different shapes and sizes. The biggest issue is usually the difference in speed, I regularly cycle on duel carriageways with 40mph limits and have few problems.

However a fast flowing 60mph duel carriageway which has large haulage vehicles on, is perhaps one to avoid.

At looking on the road in street view, it looks fairly open. There should be no reason why the haulage lorry could not see the cyclist and plan a course of action, this is of course unless it was closely following another one to save fuel and the cyclist got messed up by the first ones air turbulence. Alas we do not know the facts so we are unable to say.

My condolences to his family and may he rest in piece.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Personally I avoid main dual carriageways wherever possible. I have ridden on the A14 a couple of times and even though both times were on relatively quiet Saturday's there were still a lot of HGV's and it is not an experience that I enjoyed, nor one that I would wish to do again.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yes, sympathies to the guy's family and friends and also to the lorry driver but I totally agree. I would never even consider riding on that road. Even the suction of air from an artic going past would be horrendous. I recall seeing that there was a cycle path along the side so can't understand why anyone would risk the dual carriageway.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
This dual carriage way is national speed limit. Both Perth and Dundee have harbours/ports so the road is rife with heavy goods vehicles. I drive it nearly everyday and IMO it is far from suitable for a cyclist. I do however see the odd cyclist using it, now and again. It troubles me every time...........

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Yes, sympathies to the guy's family and friends and also to the lorry driver but I totally agree. I would never even consider riding on that road. Even the suction of air from an artic going past would be horrendous. I recall seeing that there was a cycle path along the side so can't understand why anyone would risk the dual carriageway.
There is a cycle path but more importantly there is a road that runs parallel all the way to Perth. It is national cycle route 77 (Sustrans). Most people use a mixture of the road and the path alongside the A90.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There is a cycle path but more importantly there is a road that runs parallel all the way to Perth. It is national cycle route 77 (Sustrans). Most people use a mixture of the road and the path alongside the A90.
Never ventured that far yet but does sound like a good road to use. I nearly ended up on a slip road onto the A9 a few months ago when I was exploring but, needless to say, I turned back. Although we are legally allowed to use dual carriageways, I really don't think drivers even expect to see cyclists on them so are probably not particularly looking out for them.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Although we are legally allowed to use dual carriageways, I really don't think drivers even expect to see cyclists on them so are probably not particularly looking out for them.

I think in essence that is the issue.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Never ventured that far yet but does sound like a good road to use. I nearly ended up on a slip road onto the A9 a few months ago when I was exploring but, needless to say, I turned back. Although we are legally allowed to use dual carriageways, I really don't think drivers even expect to see cyclists on them so are probably not particularly looking out for them.
Yeh don't go onto the A9. It's just as bad. :wacko:

Though i've seen plenty cyclists using it. Apparently the cycle route next to it is too long a diversion. :idea:

I ended up on a dual carriage way section of the A92 dual carriageway (Glenrothes to Kirkcaldy) after taking a wron turn at one of the many roundabouts in Glenrothes, unfortunately I cant see a similar mistake having been made on the A90 and unless I wrong I cant remember the Carse Road being too bad an alternative or much longer. :sad:

U

User6179

There was a guy on here last year talking about A9/90 as part of the route for LEJOG and I thought I would rather not do LEJOG if I had to go on this road.

I once cycled the cycle track at the side of the dual carrigeway near blackford for under a mile and that was quite bad being 3ft from lorries flying past.

I used to commute (not every journey) on the A40 between Gloucester and Cheltenham, where it is an NSL dual-carriageway.

My condolences to the family and friends of the bereaved, but I rather liked it and still ride on it, although not for commuting.

On a charity ride with my daughter a year or so back, we covered very many miles on NSL dual-carriageway. We occasionally had the wheelnuts of artics rather closer to our elbows than seemed appropriate, but I didn't feel I was exposing her to any outrageous peril. There are roads where I'd rather not ride, but NSL dual-carriageways are not one. I confess I do not know the road where this rider died.

It is dreadful when somebody dies or is seriously hurt in an accident, but I'm not sure there is a solid case for avoiding this sort of road.

Top Bottom