Cyclist death on a90 dual carriageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
There is a cycle path but more importantly there is a road that runs parallel all the way to Perth. It is national cycle route 77 (Sustrans). Most people use a mixture of the road and the path alongside the A90.

Out of intrest if you were cycling from perth to dundee what way would you go?

we have a caravan just outside st andrews and i was thinking about cycling up to it, but going up through perth and dundee

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Out of intrest if you were cycling from perth to dundee what way would you go?

we have a caravan just outside st andrews and i was thinking about cycling up to it, but going up through perth and dundee

Several routes to St Andrews. Both along the Tay but either side of it. Stunning rides with a few Strava segs too if you fancied a go.

Perth to dundee route

Perth to St Andrews via Newburgh

The Perth Dundee route isn't the most direct but it's probably the most enjoyable. The Newburgh way is very scenic.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I wonder if the weather was a factor? I'm familiar with that road as a car passenger and almost all of it is quite exposed. The weather up here yesterday and Saturday was quite bad at times with rain, sleet and snow being carried on strong winds.
Yeh i went out for a quick 20 miler and it was grim. I was on the Carse back roads though. Hailstone in knee length shorts. Painful. It wasn't particularly windy but it wasn't pleasant.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I hope the poor sole never made the decision the Carse road would be too dodgy in the conditions and chose the main road instead; not to the same degree but Ive made similar decisions in the past :sad:
Hope not as the roads were rideable. I was on them as i got bored of the break in MSR. Stayed away from the hills though as i wasn't dressed for a long haul. Bloody cold.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Ive always went over Kinoull hill (Route 77); I'll have to give a route by Rait and/or Kilspindie :thumbsup:
You can do yeh but as you will notice it is slightly smaller B road-esque.
Rait is a fantastic descent (i wonder who has that kom?:whistle:) and you can also continue up to Balbeggie and past to Abernyte. All of which basically takes you back on to the flat side of the Carse, which in turn takes you to dundee. Really is some amazing cycling round the Carse.

Oh and you are welcome round anytime. A mini CC ride. :thumbsup:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Rait is a fantastic descent (i wonder who has that kom?:whistle:) and you can also continue up to Balbeggie and past to Abernyte. All of which basically takes you back on to the flat side of the Carse, which in turn takes you to dundee. Really is some amazing cycling round the Carse.

Start a thread then:whistle:

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Start a thread then:whistle:
Lets make that a summer ride then shall we. You lot can come over and nick all my KOM's. ;)

I used to be up your way at least once a week last year, I dont get up to often now :sad: If I did your KOM would be safe from me I'm a wuss descending ;)

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I done the st andrews sportive last year, great part of the country up that way..
Yup that's just over the Tay - the route that is. I am doing it this year.

As i said above, the whole area really is fantastic for cycling and it's such a shame that some consider routes like the A90 safe or quicker. If we care enough to cycle then we should try and enjoy it whilst we can.

I'll get a ride sorted over my way for early summer. I know you all love hills so i'll make sure and add plenty of them. :evil:

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
I used to be up your way at least once a week last year, I dont get up to often now :sad: If I did your KOM would be safe from me I'm a wuss descending ;)
Well give me a shout if you are ever planning a trip.

A misspent youth consisting of bmx riding and mountain biking has helped me hold my nerve on the descents but i still get the odd moment where i think of all that could go wrong during a 50mph+ downhill - In my lycra! :blink:

I do believe i have seen your name crop up on a few segments up my way. Might i also add that your Etape link is not a ride ridden by a slouch!

I do believe i have seen your name crop up on a few segments up my way. Might i also add that your Etape link is not a ride ridden by a slouch!
Did 3/4 of it on my own then a Glasgow South rider invited me too join his peleton; I was on for a better time the following year but some idiot was playing with carpet tacks. As you'll probably know though its not a hard course, flat for long sections and the climb up the easier side of Schiallion.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
Did 3/4 of it on my own then a Glasgow South rider invited me too join his peleton; I was on for a better time the following year but some idiot was playing with carpet tacks. As you'll probably know though its not a hard course, flat for long sections and the climb up the easier side of Schiallion.
Looking forward to it. Goal is to be in the top 100. If you know the number of entrants then you know that's not easy. That puts me in the sub 4 hour category and then i also need that little bit more again. I'll let you know how that turns out. ^_^

I actually know that's a pretty doable task. The kinross Sportive is what's giving me the cold sweats. My club have decided to separate it's riders into groups in terms of speed. There is about 4 or 5 of us that are going to go 100% for it and there is just too much climbing for it to not hurt like hell. I'll be a shadow of myself after this i am sure of it. :sad:

Top Bottom