Cyclist death on a90 dual carriageway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking forward to it. Goal is to be in the top 100. If you know the number of entrants then you know that's not easy. That puts me in the sub 4 hour category and then i also need that little bit more again. I'll let you know how that turns out. ^_^

I actually know that's a pretty doable task. The kinross Sportive is what's giving me the cold sweats. My club have decided to separate it's riders into groups in terms of speed. There is about 4 or 5 of us that are going to go 100% for it and there is just too much climbing for it to not hurt like hell. I'll be a shadow of myself after this i am sure of it. :sad:
You'll ace it. I done them both before. Some ned in Clackmannan burst open my ankle the day before the etape (chucked a bottle at my ankle) and I dragged my brother round his first sportive (always on the front) on my winter bike and we averaged 18.3mph without stopping. The following spring I also done the Kinross with him, had to wait a bit on the hills this time and did feed stops, we only averaged 15.7mph, although I had been working down south with no access to a bike at first so trained little. Weather was almost identical on both rides, however. Hopefully that'll give you an idea to as how they compare.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
A cyclist has been killed on the dual carriageway running from Dundee to Perth. First off i would like to extend my deepest sympathys to the family and any friends.

I must ask though, again, why cyclists continue to use dual carriageways when there is a reasonable option!?! There is a cycle route from Dundee to Perth which is all good A road. There is also a cycle path on the A90 which runs beside the motorway.
Whether the driver of the lorry is to blame or the cyclist is to blame makes no difference - it could have all been avoided if we, as cyclists, choose the safest option and not necessarily the quickest.

Please be careful out there and consider your route carefully.
FWIW, I cycle these roads daily and have never found the need to ride the dual carriageway. There are 2 other options both ways and both are significantly safer.

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/218044-c...g-hit-by-lorry-on-a90-named-as-charles-aimer/

I hope my view on this does not offend anyone. I am simply asking people to think twice before riding on busy dual carriageways.

RIP.

what they should do is ban cyclists and peds like they did on the A90 south of the FRB. I used to use that road in the early days but to think of using it now would be nuts!! It is just not worth the risk!

what they should do is ban cyclists and peds like they did on the A90 south of the FRB. I used to use that road in the early days but to think of using it now would be nuts!! It is just not worth the risk!
IIRC that took a similar death unfortunately before they implemented the change. Very rarily though when I used to commute by the A90 cycle path (which is poor tbh: narrow and below the carriageway making it subject to ice and placing cyclist at the height to be dazzled by car lights) I would see folk prefering to cycle along the A90 :ohmy: Fortunately, I was directed to the QEY road and avoid that section; its a bit of a detour but worth it IMO for the peace of mind and a good hill (Standing Stane Rd) ;) .

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
You'll ace it. I done them both before. Some ned in Clackmannan burst open my ankle the day before the etape (chucked a bottle at my ankle) and I dragged my brother round his first sportive (always on the front) on my winter bike and we averaged 18.3mph without stopping. The following spring I also done the Kinross with him, had to wait a bit on the hills this time and did feed stops, we only averaged 15.7mph, although I had been working down south with no access to a bike at first so trained little. Weather was almost identical on both rides, however. Hopefully that'll give you an idea to as how they compare.

Imagine making your brother ride his first sportive at the front! :whistle:

A cyclist has been killed on the dual carriageway running from Dundee to Perth. First off i would like to extend my deepest sympathys to the family and any friends.

I must ask though, again, why cyclists continue to use dual carriageways when there is a reasonable option!?! There is a cycle route from Dundee to Perth which is all good A road. There is also a cycle path on the A90 which runs beside the motorway.
Whether the driver of the lorry is to blame or the cyclist is to blame makes no difference - it could have all been avoided if we, as cyclists, choose the safest option and not necessarily the quickest.

Please be careful out there and consider your route carefully.
FWIW, I cycle these roads daily and have never found the need to ride the dual carriageway. There are 2 other options both ways and both are significantly safer.

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/218044-c...g-hit-by-lorry-on-a90-named-as-charles-aimer/

I hope my view on this does not offend anyone. I am simply asking people to think twice before riding on busy dual carriageways.

RIP.
When I read of this my reaction was the same as yourself, sympathy and sadness but immediately wondered why anyone would choose to cycle that bit of road, knowing it well myself, and as you say there are viable alternatives. Such a shame all in.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
IIRC that took a similar death unfortunately before they implemented the change. Very rarily though when I used to commute by the A90 cycle path (which is poor tbh: narrow and below the carriageway making it subject to ice and placing cyclist at the height to be dazzled by car lights) I would see folk prefering to cycle along the A90 :ohmy: Fortunately, I was directed to the QEY road and avoid that section; its a bit of a detour but worth it IMO for the peace of mind and a good hill (Standing Stane Rd) ;) .

the path is about to be upgraded next month so will be closed for 6 weeks. It will be widened and brought level with the main road at that section you are talking about. Going QEY is about half a mile longer so not much in it and of course it has that wee hill which burns the legs somewhat. My route depends on the wind, QEY and an easterly is hard going so go the A90 on these occasions.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
When I read of this my reaction was the same as yourself, sympathy and sadness but immediately wondered why anyone would choose to cycle that bit of road, knowing it well myself, and as you say there are viable alternatives. Such a shame all in.
I was almost annoyed i think when i first heard. Seemed unnecessary. The man maybe rode the route daily or decided to ride it, as Hlab suggested, to avoid country roads in difficult conditions. I suspect the former to be more likely imo.

OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
the path is about to be upgraded next month so will be closed for 6 weeks. It will be widened and brought level with the main road at that section you are talking about. Going QEY is about half a mile longer so not much in it and of course it has that wee hill which burns the legs somewhat. My route depends on the wind, QEY and an easterly is hard going so go the A90 on these occasions.
Wee hill?? Do you mean Glencarse? That can burn the legs indeed. 20% gradient. A fun Strava segment for the masochistic.

Do you travel these roads often? If so what's your preferred route/s?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I am indeed in Edinburgh, I mentioned the A90 between the FRB and Crammond was closed to cyclists, it was common route used by bike back by me in the late 90s. However a few years ago cyclists were band. Just to stop any confusion, you have a stretch of the A90 and so do we and inbetween is the M90 :smile:

lejogger

Guru
I've ridden NSL dual carriageways on many occassions. In fact, to get the the famous Eureka Cafe for a Sunday club ride, taking the dual carriageway is the only feasible route for some. Yes it's fast, but many motorists drive those sort of speeds on 40/50 and 60 mph roads regardless.

By their very nature, there's something comforting about knowing that approaching vehicles will usually have a whole other free lane that they can pull into to overtake, rather than squeezing past on a narrow single carriageway.

When I rode LEJOG in 2009 the entire first day was 100 miles of A30. It wasn't pleasant, but it was the fastest route from A to B. During a time restricted event, sometimes you feel the need to get some fast, direct miles in, and I'd do the same again. Usually on the busiest of roads there's a hard shoulder that you can sit in, and the biggest danger is usually making sure you effectively manage crossing the on/off slip roads.

I probably can't remember all the other major DCs that I've utilised, but they certainly include the A55 to St Asaph and the A470 to Cardiff.The A6 in the Lake District is DC at times also.

Unless there are specific bike restricted sections I don't see the harm in riding them. We see too many injuries/fatalities on minor roads to state that this sad incident is directly related to carriageway type rather than driver/cyclist error that could happen on any road at any speed.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
you make a fair point any shared road is going to have risk . The unfortunate thing is that alot of drivers on the road have forgotten or have chosen to forget the space that should be given to a cyclist IMO. Hence we have incidents mentioned in the original post. I commute regular into Edinburgh City and its alarming the behaviours! The Gyle is full of plonkers IMO as thats the worst part of my journey, regular cutting in to turn left.

Top Bottom