Cyclist down at Hampton Court: me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got shunted by a car near the entrance to Hampton Court Palace.
As I approached http://goo.gl/maps/KK2Rk there was a bus in the roundabout coming from my right, not indicating. I thought he would turn left but realised he was turning right in front of me, so stopped at the line. A car following me struck me square in the rear wheel, pushing me forward.

That being said it's about as painless as it could be. Useful witness, apologetic and contrite driver who admitted responsibility to police. Staff at Hampton Court attended to me, police and ambulance did their jobs very well.

I'm waiting at a&e to be checked over. Numerous points of pain but very likely no real damage.

Back wheel turning fine so bike may have survived it too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch !
Hope you and the bike are ok.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had a near miss with a bus like that too, it was coming down a main road, indicating to turn off to its left, it kept going straight. Stupidly, as I usually do in a car, I always let the vehicle pass in case it is not actually turning. On this occassion I pulled out. It missed me by an inch. My fault entirely. Won't do that again.

When do you trust indicators? If you don't trust them, and a car behind thinks you should go or have gone, you a damned. You are damned if you pull out too.

Hope you are OK.

Home from A&E. By the time they saw me, the worst injury was my left knee. Swollen and tender. Xray indicates soft tissue only. Expect to be very sore tomorrow. I'll retrieve my bike and see how it is. Just finished replacing brifters and cables and bar tape. Big job for me. I'll be miffed is there is something seriously wrong with it.

Then decide whether to proceed with the plan for the Bank Holiday Monday with @vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Rest up, heal quick :hugs:

Parting question from the A&E clinician: how's your bike?
answer: in better shape than me! It's getting a new rear wheel and the mech hanger is bent, and new mudguards. But everything else is ship-shape. After loosening the rear brakes, I was able to cycle it to the bike shop. Flat trip, so didn't change gears - which could have been a disaster.

(ok, there's a lot of play in the cranks,and I think the BB is going, but that was true 2 days ago)

Top Bottom