Cyclist down Blackfriars Bridge this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

Not had any problems there myself, but will def' take more care now. does anyoen know where abouts on the bridge, the lead up or off the bridge? is there a particaulr bad point which one should take more care? Hope it wasnt the one with the fat bum.

spindrift

All London's bridges arch, so if the road was sloping it must be the southbound descent, judging from the trafcam. What a ahorrible story, I feel sick, anyone heard anything please?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds horrific, I really hope the girl makes a recovery. :tongue:

I cycle over Blackfirars Bridge Northbound each morning and have never seen any problems there but I typically cross at 6 or 7am. There are a lot of new roadworks happening in the past couple of days on the junction at the north side.

The remarks that have been made about it being a blackspot and what has happened today might send a bit of a shiver down my spine when I come across it on Monday (decided to take the bus on a Friday for going out after work reasons).

hackbike 6

I remember a few years back with a bus and a cyclist a workmate was a paramedic at the time and said he attended the incident.I still remember the cyclists bag in the road and the bus stopped.That must have been the late 90's.

Yeah I remember there used to be the turn off where you could go up to Waterloo via the OXO building.

spindrift

Seriously injured but stable, according to Evening Standard, they are trying to get an interview with her for Monday's paper.

Tynan

Veteran
that's the one, southbound was always ok as long as you got over for the lights at the other end (I used to turn right on Southwark Road a bit further)

northbound most certainly need attention focussed, a primary near the end was defo called for and the exit to the left after the bridge proper always looked ludicrous as regards danger, yeah, northbound wasn't good, I used to use the buslane bit rather than have to merge into the single lane for cars, even then you had to be careful when you rejoined the two lanes going towards Liverpool Street as cars turning left would cut across, bad route for bikes without a shadow

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like one situation where jumping the red lights might just save your life.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
When exiting the bridge southbound on my way home I cross at the pelican crosssing (bike friendly one) and turn right down Upper Ground St, I believe it's called. Wouldn't fancy heading straight on there towards The Cut and Stamford St. :wacko:

Jake

you know the lights at the end of the south run. Where you can go over the bike crossing to your right. Its always a bit hairy turning right as you say. Question/comment/point is, you got traffic lights there, green for straight on and a arrow for right. You can only go right when the arrow is gree yeah? so why the other did was some black cab daffodil tooting his horn at me to go?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Jake said:
you know the lights at the end of the south run. Where you can go over the bike crossing to your right. Its always a bit hairy turning right as you say. Question/comment/point is, you got traffic lights there, green for straight on and a arrow for right. You can only go right when the arrow is gree yeah? so why the other did was some black cab daffodil tooting his horn at me to go?

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that with a green light for straight on and in the absence of a red light on the right turn you can cross if safe to do so. The presence of the green arrow on the right turn is an indication to you that the signal is red for oncomming traffic.

Jake

oh right. I have gone if its safe sometimes, but that junction is a night mare with traffic coming at speed from all angles. I tend to be happier just to wait till its green and 100% safe. maybe its safer to use the crossing bit on the right.

Top Bottom