Cyclist down- Cricklewood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

spindrift

Rhythm Thief said:
I don't think there is a bias - or rather, I do, but this use of language is not a manifestation of it. "Collided with" means "was involved in a collision with"; nothing else.

A cyclist waits at the lights. A lorry pulls up, the lights change, the lorry turns left and kills the cyclist. I do not feel it is appropriate for the media to then claim the cyclist dies after colliding with a lorry.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
spindrift said:
A cyclist waits at the lights. A lorry pulls up, the lights change, the lorry turns left and kills the cyclist. I do not feel it is appropriate for the media to then claim the cyclist dies after colliding with a lorry.
No, that would be "Blind tw@t in charge of vehicle kills cyclist whilst not paying attention to anything but his own steering wheel".... but obviously will go down as an accident where the cyclist placed themselves in a blind spot of the vehicle. ;):angry::biggrin::angry:

Mr Pig

I think there is a bias as work. In the case of the girl who fell and hit her head a few months ago they said that the group of kids were going to the chip shop. There was no mention of the fact that they had been drinking in the park.

I'm going to keep a note of any further such instances and if a pastern forms I'll consider complaining to the broadcasting authority.

Mr Pig said:
I think there is a bias as work. In the case of the girl who fell and hit her head a few months ago they said that the group of kids were going to the chip shop. There was no mention of the fact that they had been drinking in the park.

I'm going to keep a note of any further such instances and if a pastern forms I'll consider complaining to the broadcasting authority.

Certainly do that, but it is difficult to remain completely unbiased. To be taken seriously you would have to collect all reports over a specified amount of time and to count the 'anti-cyclist' and 'non-anti-cyclist' articles and compare them. It certainly would be interesting to do that, as I am sure there would be some newspapers/broadcasters that would come out worse than others.....shock horror! ;)

Top Bottom