Cyclist down: Haylie Brae, Largs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Local paper link.

Sadly, a fatal collision involving a cyclist happened about 6.30 this morning on the main A760 road between Largs and Kilbirnie, Ayrshire.

It's a horrible road to cycle, as I know from personal experience. It involves a long climb out of Largs, with several blind bends. This particular collision has happened near to Muirhead reservoir though, which is on one of the less hazardous sections. Too early to speculate on causes, but the odds are that it was unlikely to be the cyclist's fault 😢.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Deceased is a 31 year old local male (not known to me) married with 2 young children. 😢

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Local paper link.

Sadly, a fatal collision involving a cyclist happened about 6.30 this morning on the main A760 road between Largs and Kilbirnie, Ayrshire.

It's a horrible road to cycle, as I know from personal experience. It involves a long climb out of Largs, with several blind bends. This particular collision has happened near to Muirhead reservoir though, which is on one of the less hazardous sections. Too early to speculate on causes, but the odds are that it was unlikely to be the cyclist's fault 😢.

I cycled into work this morning and was greeted by a colleague from Largs to tell me there was a collision and he thought it was because of the low sun. They all looked at me as if I was daft when I asked them what they would do if they couldn't see, and the best I could get from the now assembled group was, slow down. Naw, stop ffs, don't keep going until you kill someone.

I'll delete this if its considered speculation.

I cycled into work this morning and was greeted by a colleague from Largs to tell me there was a collision and he thought it was because of the low sun. They all looked at me as if I was daft when I asked them what they would do if they couldn't see, and the best I could get from the now assembled group was, slow down. Naw, stop ffs, don't keep going until you kill someone.

I'll delete this if its considered speculation.

Low sun hangs for a long while. If the road is flat, motorist should lower the car visor but on a crest or uphill, it becomes dangerous. As cyclist, always move to the extreme left side when you spot a low sun. Or avoid that stretch or don't even cycle if there are no alternatives. No worth it. 31 years and with 2 kids, a tragedy.

Slick

Guru
Low sun hangs for a long while. If the road is flat, motorist should lower the car visor but on a crest or uphill, it becomes dangerous. As cyclist, always move to the extreme left side when you spot a low sun. Or avoid that stretch or don't even cycle if there are no alternatives. No worth it. 31 years and with 2 kids, a tragedy.

It was particularly bad here this morning for whatever reason and a couple of times I became very aware of being at risk riding straight into the sun, but each time I was able to dart way left which probably did nothing for my risk factor other than it made me feel better.

gzoom

Über Member
Everytime I read stuff like this it does make me wonder why I don't just stick to the car for commuting :sad:.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Everytime I read stuff like this it does make me wonder why I don't just stick to the car for commuting :sad:.

I guess it's all down to risk assessment. There are a lot of roads around my local area that I won't cycle on as I consider the risk too high, thanks to nobber drivers. And that's the bottom line, there's no such thing as dangerous roads. If you took the feckwit drivers off them, all roads would be safe.

Personally I try to reduce the risk by cycling on roads or paths which I consider to be less of a risk. Which means if I want to commute to work by bike, it's 16 miles each way instead of 10. I do it, but not regularly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Everytime you read of a fatal car accidents. Do you think of using public transport?

I have a 20km ride to work through the Danish countryside. It sets me up for the day. You just have try and negate all eventualities. But accidents happen

gzoom

Über Member
Everytime you read of a fatal car accidents. Do you think of using public transport?

Having being in a decent sized RTA, it makes me appreciate/actively seek out cars with 5 star NCAP ratings. The difference a in passenger protection between cars is quite significant.

This was what happened when someone deicided they didn't need to slow down at junctions....the difference in damage is pretty obvious......if I had been on my pedal bike, the blue car would still probably be on the road but I probably wouldn't be here to type this response!

35229572236_5de3cbbe56_c_d.jpg

35269663945_2b4ce60a65_c_d.jpg

Accidents do happen, but in a car your chance of fatal/life changing injuries these days is very low. Speed and size of what you collide into have a big impact on outcomes, and you have much more control over that than on a bike.

I'll almost certainly get back on my bike, but let's not kid ourselves on just how much more vulnerable you are as a pedal bike user vs someone in a car.

One very simple/innocent mistake by a car driver and its game over when on a pedal bike versus a insurance claim when driving.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Having being in a decent sized RTA, it makes me appreciate/actively seek out cars with 5 star NCAP ratings. The difference a in passenger protection between cars is quite significant.

This was what happened when someone deicided they didn't need to slow down at junctions....the difference in damage is pretty obvious......if I had been on my pedal bike, the blue car would still probably be on the road but I probably wouldn't be here to type this response!

View attachment 656982

View attachment 656983

Accidents do happen, but in a car your chance of fatal/life changing injuries these days is very low. Speed and size of what you collide into have a big impact on outcomes, and you have much more control over that than on a bike.

I'll almost certainly get back on my bike, but let's not kid ourselves on just how much more vulnerable you are as a pedal bike user vs someone in a car.

One very simple/innocent mistake by a car driver and its game over when on a pedal bike versus a insurance claim when driving.

I totally agree with you. Cars are much safer. But I will still continue my 40km commute most days of the year and my ultra distance rides. I could always sell all my bikes and drive everywhere. How boring that would be. I have been involved in nasty bike and motorbike accidents. But it does not put me off riding either.

Top Bottom