Cyclist down in York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I've not heard much about this, but apparently a cyclist was right hooked on Bootham at the Sainsburys/BBC Radio York junction. A friend was cycling behind and saw the entire thing happened, the cyclist was carted off in an ambulance (which I did see), supposedly with a pretty bad bone injury.

Hope you recover quickly mate.

For those that don't know the junction... this is the approach (and exactly why not to use the bike lane there)

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2vCseFOJ8&feature=view_all&list=PL132ED26679172A40&index=5[/media]

I hope they heal soon!

asterix

Comrade Member
In June 2005, a few metres beyond that junction some barsteward opened their door across the lane and I got the edge of it. 24 hours later I awoke in Hull Royal with no idea where I was or how I got there. Fractured skull, sub-dural haematoma, etc.

It is a very dangerous bike lane and why I think bike lanes are a crap idea.

I hope your friend can help as a witness. In my case the only reason I know what happened is through the actions of decent people who helped in every way they could. My injury prevented me from carrying on in the work that I did and without the witnesses my case for compensaion would have been hopeless.

And incidentally, on my case the ambulance staff should have called the police but failed to do so. The police were not best pleased about that when Mrs A called them next day.

In June 2005, a few metres beyond that junction some barsteward opened their door across the lane and I got the edge of it. 24 hours later I awoke in Hull Royal with no idea where I was or how I got there. Fractured skull, sub-dural haematoma, etc.

It is a very dangerous bike lane and why I think bike lanes are a crap idea.

Huddy blell asterix, are you fully recovered now (apart from, I'd imagine, a severe nervous twitch when using cycle lanes in similar circumstances?) ?

Watching the video I agree with you, the traffic planners should have considered the potential situation of stationary traffic, a right turning vehicle unsighted by said traffic and a fast-approaching cyclist.
I'm growing an opinion that this type of dashed-white-lines-at-the-edge-of-the-road cycle lane causes more problems than it solves.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yikes.

I turn down that side street from Bootham on a Wednesday in our work vehicle, and I'm always extremely cautious about crossing the cyclelane when my view is restricted by queueing traffic (and coming out of it again), and wary of it when I use the lane as a cyclist on Thursdays. The yellow box junction means cars do leave it clear (about the only yellow box they seem to notice!), and right turners take the chance quickly, because like as not, there's traffic building up behind them.

I hope the cyclist has a speedy recovery.

asterix

Comrade Member
Huddy blell asterix, are you fully recovered now (apart from, I'd imagine, a severe nervous twitch when using cycle lanes in similar circumstances?) ?

Watching the video I agree with you, the traffic planners should have considered the potential situation of stationary traffic, a right turning vehicle unsighted by said traffic and a fast-approaching cyclist.
I'm growing an opinion that this type of dashed-white-lines-at-the-edge-of-the-road cycle lane causes more problems than it solves.

Pretty much thanks. You are right: although I do a lot cycling out of town, I could not do the daily commute again that I had done for over 20 years.

My trips into York are now nearly always along the cycle path that starts not far from my house and I never go along Bootham!

Top Bottom