Cyclist down (London)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well my dad told me an interesting story tonight whilst travelling from Sainsbury's. He said that today as he was walking to the train station, he saw a cyclist get knocked down by a van.

Apparently the cyclist had been cycling on the pavement even though there was a CS on the road. He approached a side road at some speed and crossed without looking. A van turning from the main road into the side street went into the side of him, knocking him over.
The cyclist accepted fault and was not wearing a helmet. Apparently the bike was a bit damaged but my dad said that he had one which appeared to be expensive, so my dad presumed he would have the money to afford repairs.

My dad said that he shouldnt have been on the pavement as there were many other pedestrians about and there was a fully utilisable CS on the road which he could have used.

The cyclist wasnt injured but I hope he has learnt his lesson. I dont know if there was any damage to the van.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
He wasn't wearing a helmutt?

That's disgraceful.:eek:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There was another cyclist down today on CS7 by Union road. Looked pretty serious, police had closed the road and where not even letting cyclists walk on the pavement.

Adasta

There was another cyclist down today on CS7 by Union road. Looked pretty serious, police had closed the road and where not even letting cyclists walk on the pavement.

Ah, was that what it was? There were tailbacks into Vauxhall. I thought it might have had something to do with the bus strikes.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Ah, was that what it was? There were tailbacks into Vauxhall. I thought it might have had something to do with the bus strikes.

Lack of buses caused tailbacks?;)

HovR

Über Member
The cyclist accepted fault and was not wearing a helmet.

Not wanting to start a helmet thread here, but this annoys me. Why is it that when a cyclist is involved in a crash, and isn't wearing a helmet, it is always mentioned in a negative way - Even if there was no head injury!

How is it even relevant? Some people choose to wear helmets, some choose not to. You don't hear non-helmet wearers complaining about how they saw a cyclist going down the street wearing a helmet.. :wacko:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Not wanting to start a helmet thread here, but this annoys me. Why is it that when a cyclist is involved in a crash, and isn't wearing a helmet, it is always mentioned in a negative way - Even if there was no head injury!

How is it even relevant? Some people choose to wear helmets, some choose not to. You don't hear non-helmet wearers complaining about how they saw a cyclist going down the street wearing a helmet.. :wacko:
I didnt mean it as a negative comment. I meant that it could have been a factor if he had seriously hit his head when falling down.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I didnt mean it as a negative comment. I meant that it could have been a factor if he had seriously hit his head when falling down.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF BLEEDIN' ALWAYS IF

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Clench your fist, hold your arm out in front of you and stand than distance + 1 inch away from a wall.
Punch at the wall and you miss.
Add 1.5inches of foam around your fist.
Punch at the wall and the foam has saved your fist?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Clench your fist, hold your arm out in front of you and stand than distance + 1 inch away from a wall.
Punch at the wall and you miss.
Add 1.5inches of foam around your fist.
Punch at the wall and the foam has saved your fist?
Fair point. But I am not really bothered about helmet wearing or not. When my dad tald me about the incident, he just seemed to make it sound like not having a helmet on was a contributing factor to the incident (I dont know why as the cyclist was just an idiot).
My whole family have a strong feeling about helmets and always make sure that me and my brother are wearing one (I always wear one so they dont bother me much). My Nan is the worst. She constantly pesters me to wear one and I always tell her that I always do when on the roads.

Norm

But I am not really bothered about helmet wearing or not.
Only you obviously are bothered or you wouldn't have written anything about the helmet.

"not really bothered" could describe how you feel about gloves or knee-pads, which would have been much more likely to have offered some protection but their presence / absence went unremarked in your post.

Ask yourself why you commented on the helmet but not the gloves and I think you'll realise that you really are that bothered about it.

Once we've got your perceptions aligned with reality, we can start to work on your family. :giggle:

Top Bottom