Cyclist down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wlc1

Sounds like a cracking job to me......

He would have gone to KCH or Tommys from there and both are excellent at trauma so fingers crossed.

Nice to hear some praise for the LAS too. We get shafted daily and I'm not saying this to be controversial but I bet the crew loved a decent job.

Sounds like you did ok on the phone etc. Well done praise where praise is due - it's not easy to see that and then be calm enough to make rational decisions and have clear thinking.

dondare

Über Member
A very nasty incident which will certainly test the resilience of the victim. (And tested Clarion's patience, too, if I'd been there they'd have needed another ambulance for the paper man.)
I certainly hope that whoever is looking into these cases notices that it's not always down to idiot cyclists. If the driver couldn't see the cyclist this time then there is a real problem with these vehicles which will not go away by putting a sticker on the back of the lorry or by educating cyclists.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Clarion,

I hope it makes a difference to you to know that many people out here support you, and admire what you did. Thanks for your efforts, you sound like a really good person, and we need more people like you around.

Also, I know that confrontations -even with blowhards -can be particularly unpleasant. I've been abused for much less, and it's just so upsetting, even more so when you know they've acted completely unreasonably or not even followed the recognized rules of the road. You have to wonder how these people live, I have to guess in an extremely small minded frustrated way. Anyway, it just takes time to get over it.

In the meantime, a helmet mounted cam might be a good idea, or vary your commute route for a time. Keep on doing what you're doing, it does make a difference to the world and you make the world a more pleasant place.

Have a virtual cuppa from me from across the pond, mate. Best wishes.

clarion said:
It's been a pretty unpleasant couple of days. Last night's comedian was just a runty blowhard, but I was pretty scared at the time, and I went home a different way in case there were three blokes waiting in the dark to attack me.

This morning - well, I'm blushing at some of the descriptions of my actions. I just did what I thought was right, and I hope someone would do the same for me. The Aussie guy who also witnessed it was great, and we helped keep each others' spirits up. The lass who stopped had more sense than me, and actually checked the victim. We ought to look after each other on the road.

Mr Phoebus

Clarion, let me smear my hands with superglue and then give you all the man hug you can take.

Londinium is such a harsh mistress sometimes.
You're tough though, you can take it.

Clarion, thanks for popping over. Butterfly, just to clarify (although I'm sure you know this) I was NOT suggesting that it was made up, just that it seemed so crazy (both incidents together). Thank goodness it happened to someone capable of handling it all.

Well done for your actions. B)

You're right, Magnatom, I've not been over here enough lately. But I guess I'm vain enough to want to know what folk are saying about me and the incident.

By the way, has anyone seen any press coverage of the collision - Evening Standard or local papers, for example?

Butterfly

Veteran
magnatom said:
Clarion, thanks for popping over. Butterfly, just to clarify (although I'm sure you know this) I was NOT suggesting that it was made up, just that it seemed so crazy (both incidents together).
I know you weren't suggesting that, I just wanted to confim that.:biggrin:

Thank goodness it happened to someone capable of handling it all.

Well done for your actions. :?:
Hear hear.:biggrin:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
clarion said:
By the way, has anyone seen any press coverage of the collision - Evening Standard or local papers, for example?

Nothing online.

If there was some of the planks on there... well you know how they get. :?:

alp1950

clarion said:
You're right, Magnatom, I've not been over here enough lately. But I guess I'm vain enough to want to know what folk are saying about me and the incident.

Clarion- a couple of beautifully written pieces on your experiences. Very sobering accounts, probably because those of us who cycle on busy commuting roads have imagined ourselves in identical situations. Hopefully these events won't hit your confidence too hard - it looks as though you handled yourself well on both occasions.

As for this thread on cycle chat: "off-topic & squabbling by page 2" observed Liz on YACF. My thoughts exactly & sadly not for the first time on CC. Might be time to take a close look at YACF.....

dondare

Über Member
alp1950 said:
As for this thread on cycle chat: "off-topic & squabbling by page 2" observed Liz on YACF. My thoughts exactly & sadly not for the first time on CC. Might be time to take a close look at YACF.....

Forums which discourage this get very boring.

PBancroft

Just in shock, partly because of the accident itself, and partly the newspaper guy.

EDIT: Regarding the squabbling, this forum does have an ignore feature. I find its therapeutic to make use of it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dondare said:
Forums which discourage this get very boring.

Sorry to go OT here:
I thought the petty squabbling was a feature of this forum?
When C+ finally fell apart, those that wanted to continue the petty squabbling and ribald banter came here and those that didn't went to acf. Then they squabbled a bit with the proprietor and some dissenters set-up yacf. And it's good that they did.

For high quality inane bitchyness you need to visit the Green Wheely bin, if you've not posted on a thread in there you can't call yourself a true CC member...

Top Bottom