Cyclist fatality London Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agree of course that all skip lorry drivers aren't out to kill, but, folks, take care of the cautions above about staying well away from them.

I well remember one thundering behind me as I headed down towards Penge a couple of years ago. I was outrunning it and, being a bloody minded soul, was inclined to hold my place and not let him bully me. In the end, rare commonsense on my part intervened and I just pulled over and let him have the road.

In my experience they are far more dangerous than artics, which don't tend to make unpredictable movements (though of course be wary of going up the inside)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
RIP Fella. This hits very close to home.

I turn right at that junction every day. It is not a well thought out junction, there is a confusion of traffic lights and various give way markings.

In 2015 it will be part of the cycle super highway fom Woolwich to London Bridge.

RIP. I hear on the news that the driver has been arrested for 'dangerous driving'.

When will bullshit Boris take notice and impose some form of day to day regulation within the 'City zone', that might make everyone use motor transport more carefully and effectively? He can't advocate the bicycle as a facility and then just let them become fodder for the ignorant motorist. He's spouting so much about the hire bikes and not putting the 'skip' drivers / whoever, on red alert. The frustrations of Summer might be interesting - presumably this will be the first year that London, particularly sees an expotential growth in bicycle use.
Sort it out Mr Mayor - before it's too late for me or someone else. And also, let us emphasise scale every time there is a conversation about accidents and fatalities . Not just two humans - 'a cyclist' and 'a driver' Let's have 'a cyclist, riding a hired bicycle, was hit by a 25 ton cement lorry, being driven etc...' Alert everyone, everytime.

Anyone who commutes regularly realises that there are a lot of people who just. don't. care. or. look.
Take a bit longer perhaps, be careful all. :sad:

Should have mandatory time frame for road closures every time someone (even in a car) is killed.

Like a week.

Maybe then people will stop running everyone else over...

Because obviously getting to work and such is more important, maybe this will make people take more care. :rolleyes:

RIP.

OP
OP
H

her_welshness

RIP Fella. This hits very close to home.

I turn right at that junction every day. It is not a well thought out junction, there is a confusion of traffic lights and various give way markings.

In 2015 it will be part of the cycle super highway fom Woolwich to London Bridge.

Here is more of an update: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5169

It is such a confusing junction, as others have said.

Most cyclists bear right, to get to the traffic lights at Tower Bridge. I always indicate right, and place myself assertively at that junction. It has been on the rare occasion that motorists like to give cyclists a little fright by moving into the right lane of Tanner Street and brushing very close as cyclists are navigating onto Tooley Street.

markharry66

Über Member
I was done here last night full respects to the family or the victim. Not all skip lorries are to blame good and bad like everything else in life. What a waste of a life and when will idiots learn not to takes risks with other peoples lives.
No matter what happens there needs to be a change in this country with regard to the attitude of drivers and driving how long can this continue to ruin and destroy lives.

RIP :sad:

I agree not all skip lorries are to blame but I think cyclists need to be absolutely vigilant by reporting the drivers of these vehicles to the police if they see any hint of dangerous driving. We need to ram home the message to people as to how hazardous these vehicles can be to cyclists, I just wish the Mayor would do more about this. He goes on about promoting cycling in the city, but if he's truthful to that he should be taking every single cycling death in London very seriously. He should make a statement on each and every one when they happen. I'd worry that might put people off cycling but I'm convinced that the chances of being run over by one of these things drastically diminishes if you know how to manoeuvre around one.

OP
OP
H

her_welshness

http://crapwalthamforest.blogspot.com/2011/03/two-london-cyclists-killed-by-lorry.html

As they point out:

Mayor Boris Johnson, came under criticism in October 2009 after deciding to withdraw Transport for London funding from the Metropolitan Police’s Commercial Vehicle Education Unit (CVEU), which inspected lorries in the capital, insisting that the voluntary Freight Operators’ Registration Scheme (FORS) provided an adequate safeguard.

While the CVEU has been reconstituted by the Met as the Commercial Vehicle Unit, operating out of Alperton in North West London, it does not have the same scale of resources or manpower as it used to do.

I think one of our Assembly Members needs to be tabling a question to Boris about this - I have no confidence that the voluntary Freight Operators Registration Scheme is effective enough.

Similarly I agree with the bloggers stance on LCC's No More Lethal Lorries Campaign. Collecting bloody signatures? How on earth is that going to make an impact?

subaqua

What’s the point
http://crapwalthamfo...d-by-lorry.html

As they point out:

I think one of our Assembly Members needs to be tabling a question to Boris about this - I have no confidence that the voluntary Freight Operators Registration Scheme is effective enough.

Similarly I agree with the bloggers stance on LCC's No More Lethal Lorries Campaign. Collecting bloody signatures? How on earth is that going to make an impact?

quoting anything from that blog is likely to be hit and miss.

the day he alledgedly took the pics of alexandra road cycle lane obliterated I was riding along the new wider version thats not yet painted red.

plus all the cobblers about the seven lane road into the Olympics. there are 2 lanes which open up into 7 entry points , a bit like dartford crossing . done to stop tarffic clogging the approach roads,.

anyway i digress, its tragic another cyclist has died. but until the investigation is comoplete all we can do is speculate, which won't help.

aembleton

This is so sad to hear.

Like many others, this is also on my commute. I wasn't riding yesterday because I went out drinking; so didn't see anything. Didn't notice anything this morning.

That junction is bad, but I always move out to the right of the queuing traffic and get to the front, even if that means cycling into the oncoming lane. It's far too dangerous to filter around there although many cyclists do. If there is traffic heading onwards, then I just hang back.

We don't know exactly what happened here, but it is scary to know someone has died on your commute.

Top Bottom