Cyclist gets caught with 'help up hills' motor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
My friend with the Velosolex habit, its bloody hard work watching him furiously pedal to try and help the engine up a moderate incline...

Probably great fun to restore and work onm or maybe the occzsional ring ding a ling about the village, but no more than that.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In the comments section one person mentioned something called a Winged Wheel by BSA so I googled it. He said it was a conversion but this looks like a dedicated model. This one was for sale in of all places Las Vegas.
1619509213600.png

Introduced in the early fifties. This one is 1954. Check the sprung fork.

It does appear to be offered as a conversion as well according to this ad.

1619511832345.jpeg

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I can recall tales of squaddies on national service taking half a day to ride home on leave on one of these. I wouldn't mind one myself as a toy, but suspect good ones shoft for serious dollar.
A couple of years back I was talking to an old chap in a cafe, he said he was into racing and long club runs as a young man, and thought nothing of riding home for leave, and back to camp whilst doing his National Savagery, it worked out well because he was kept in the UK on a cushy number so he could race for the RAF!

Badger_Boom

Über Member
A couple of years back I was talking to an old chap in a cafe, he said he was into racing and long club runs as a young man, and thought nothing of riding home for leave, and back to camp whilst doing his National Savagery, it worked out well because he was kept in the UK on a cushy number so he could race for the RAF!
That sounds like an ex-RAF friend of my late father in law.

mustang1

Guru
The guy has an illegal bike. It could be a petrol engine, or it could be a modified e-bike.

I havent read the DM-user comments - i guess it'll be the usual dribble about RLJers, going on footpaths and so on. But those are just things that people discuss about cyclists. The actual point is.... that bike is illegal.

Having said that, what if he got a radio control car to pull him along? Or how about a lawn mower to pull him along? Actually, do you need a license to use a lawn mower on the public road, those ones that you sit on?

Drago

Legendary Member
Actually, do you need a license to use a lawn mower on the public road, those ones that you sit on?
Yes, and insurance and all the rest of it. One of my favourite stops as a young bobby was a woman riding one between villages so she could mow a friends lawn. Sadly, her friends grass never got cut that day.

Top Bottom