Cyclist gets caught with 'help up hills' motor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Cyclemaster and similar conversions were certainly legal if registered and displaying a number plate. No brake light or extra braking required. View attachment 585911
I think they were marketed as "clip on " motors .

My ex mother-in-law always got the DM - weird as she is an immigrant - but she kept the last couple of weeks copies in a pile
I used to like going through them playing "spot the journalism" - some very good writing in there with lots of facts
the actual facts could normally be found on the 2nd page of a very long article - and were there to justify the rabble rousing comments in the first 2 or 3 paragraphs
Very well written to be able to make apparently ridiculous comments and make it impossible to sue them because the facts were all reported accurately - albeit rather later on
Very interesting little game!
common tabloid game that - real story near the bottom.
on shorter single page stories it's often best to read the last three paras pretty quickly before getting too sucked into the earlier stuff.
but at least it's there.
I agree that it is well written.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The headline should read "Motorcyclist gets caught with unregistered vehicle, no licence or insurance". However, that wouldn't be salacious enough for Mail readers, some of whom may on motorbikes themselves, so the ire gets directed back at cyclists, who as a user group technically had nothing to do with this matter.

or even “Motorist gets caught with unregistered vehicle, no licence or insurance” and tries to claim they are a cyclist.

DRM

Guru

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Apparently this type of bike was very popular immediately after the war when money was still generally short, petrol was still rationed, and consumer goodies were not widely available

They died a death fairly swiftly after rationing ended in 1950, people became more prosperous, and were able to buy relatively cheap cars thanks to the advent of mass production.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Apparently this type of bike was very popular immediately after the war when money was still generally short, petrol was still rationed, and consumer goodies were not widely available

They died a death fairly swiftly after rationing ended in 1950, people became more prosperous, and were able to buy relatively cars thanks to the advent of mass production.

I remember them being common into the early 1960's.

Top Bottom