Cyclist kills pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Origamist said:
According to someone who was at the court (admittedly an anonymous forumite):

"Most of the quotes regarding what is supposed to have happened were simply copied from the prosecutors opening speech. That speech turned out to be hugely inaccurate, and was not supported by most of the prosecution's own witnesses. Perhaps the most telling example of this is that not one single witness reported the cyclist as saying "I'm not going to stop" - the claim that he did was made solely by the prosecutor."

http://community.channel4.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/503603557/m/75700379201/p/3

What's really needed is a transcript of the trial.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
What's really needed is a transcript of the trial.

AFAIK, there are no official recordings or transcripts of trials held in magistrates' courts.

Notsoblue

I've heard of cyclists being attacked on the regent's canal towpath. A friend of a friend was very seriously assaulted by a group of youths and sustained terrible head injuries that he's still recovering from. I can see a situation in which someone could be cycling down a path blocked by a group of kids and would be reluctant to stop. Plus from the article it was clear that the group had been drinking.

From the scant details we have of the case its possible to interpret the events in many different ways depending on your attitude to cycling. Whats clear though is that it was a very very tragic incident, no matter what the circumstances a young person died and this poor chap will have it on his mind for the rest of his life.

domtyler

Über Member
The one positive that may come of this is that maybe people will now take the message on board that standing in front of a speeding bike is not such a good idea. Maybe some people will think twice before taking that chance or mucking around in front of cyclists.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Sadly yes. And if another post contains an element of truth, the "fact" that he shouted "I'm not going to stop" may be questionable too, which makes things even murkier, and that's not even considering how fast -or slow -he was going. It was fascinating to see that one report (can't remember which) described him as "hurtling at 20mph" -hardly a term that would be applied to a much heavier, dangerous automobile (then it would be probably described as "driving with care").

I'm definitely not saying he wasn't reckless, but the facts of the case still don't seem to be clear nor heard by many people outside the courtroom -and certainly the witnesses were likely not to be objective.

I wonder what he has to say?

jiggerypokery said:
It seems that as a group we really are hated on many levels and that this guy and his sentence have raised many many hackles. But what surprises me is the way that people jump to conclusions and then in a Life of Brian style shout "Stone Him!!!!!". See here for instance.. http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=100821.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Notsoblue said:
I can see a situation in which someone could be cycling down a path blocked by a group of kids and would be reluctant to stop. Plus from the article it was clear that the group had been drinking

Exactly - I'd not stop, but obviously try to pass them with as wide a berth as possible - certainly would not try to squeeze past as I know how unpredictable people can be. I have it on good authority that the Fallowfield Loop, whilst a good cycle track, is not a place you want to be when the yoofs are out and about - you'd have no way of avoiding them.

I had a fella just walk out on me last night - not looking, stepped out. Fortunately for him, I had just pulled away from the lights so was not at cruising speed. shoot himself though, and apologised profusely..... I said.. "no problem....nearly though !!!

There will be an awful lot of bad press about this due to the poor sensationalised reporting.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
There's a "why oh why" comment on this in the Grauniad by the lovely Naomi Alderman (scroll to the bottom of the page). Doesn't add much to the debate, but then again, she never does.

That's one shoot column. She seems to be the spawn of Private Eye's
Polly Filler (a vapid and self-centred female "lifestyle" columnist, whose irrelevant personal escapades and gossip serve solely to fill column inches).

My favourtie:

This week Naomi watched Charles Laughton's 1955 film The Night of the Hunter: "Film noir at its very creepiest and most powerful. Watch it and shudder." She read Bitch magazine: "It's a sassy feminist take on pop culture; this issue included articles on feminism in Star Trek and the first female Torah scribe. It always makes me think new thoughts."

Actually, the guff on cycling is even worse...

andyfromotley

Sorry i dont know if this has been posted in this thread but i thought it would be relevant. I heard and interview, on 5 live, with the Senior Investigating Officer, for this fatal accident. He was a police sgt from the forces roads policing unit, and he was quite impressive and even handed. i would think that he knows as much about these events as anyone.He made the following points
  • There was a cctv camera which caught the cyclist right up to the point of collision. Hence there is no question about the speeds. (IIRC first seen at nearly 30, down to 17 just before impact)
  • The court was unable to decide from conflicting accounts whether or not he was on the pavement.
  • The evidence is that there was ample room for the cyclist to avoid the pedestrian simply by moving to the left.
It really was a good balanced interview although they did have that idiot Mike rutherford on straight afterwards. i think this was about 11.30pm on tuesday evening if anyone can link it to the bbc listen again feature?

andy

ChrisKH

Guru
Ben Lovejoy said:
Of course not, but it is no surprise at all that the media has linked the accident to the CTC excusing cyclists who break the law.

Ben

Actually I thought it was inexcusable for ITN to use a spokesman from the AA who said something about this being compelling evidence for an increase in penalties for dangerous cycling. In the face of laughable penalties for drivers who kill cyclists and pedestrians. Talk about spin. Why I won't be joining the AA - reason 1.

sheva

ChrisKH said:
Actually I thought it was inexcusable for ITN to use a spokesman from the AA who said something about this being compelling evidence for an increase in penalties for dangerous cycling. In the face of laughable penalties for drivers who kill cyclists and pedestrians. Talk about spin. Why I won't be joining the AA - reason 1.
todays sun contains a story of a lorry driver who pulled out of a junction, didn`t see a cyclist on the main road, and knocked him down. the cyclist was killed as a result of this. punishment for the lorry driver? £275 fine and six points for driving without due care and attention.

Cab

It does seem very telling that the media is full of awful negativity about the dangers of cycling. One death a year, on average, caused by pedestrians being hit by cyclists? Out of the, what is it, 9 deaths per day on our roads?

A little sense of perspective would be a nice thing.

Top Bottom