Cyclist kills pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenb

Guru
slightly OT but I half caught something on TV (beeb I think) about 7.45 this morning with some bloke from one of the cycling groups and another bloke from Headway (??) talking about cycling safety, helmets etc. Didn't sound like anything new. Anyone catch it or know a link to it?

Cab

stephenb said:
slightly OT but I half caught something on TV (beeb I think) about 7.45 this morning with some bloke from one of the cycling groups and another bloke from Headway (??) talking about cycling safety, helmets etc. Didn't sound like anything new. Anyone catch it or know a link to it?

Saw it. Wasn't especially interesting; a well meaning but sligly poor at communicating guy from the CTC versus a guy from a head injury charity who was in possession of no facts but whose 'common sense' was that helmets save lives. Dull and tedious, IMHO.

Cab said:
Saw it. Wasn't especially interesting; a well meaning but sligly poor at communicating guy from the CTC versus a guy from a head injury charity who was in possession of no facts but whose 'common sense' was that helmets save lives. Dull and tedious, IMHO.
I'd agree with that, "Oh No here we go again :wacko:", I'm quite glad I never caught the full thing.

Cab

Oh, and a couple of journalists who started from the premis that helmets are good and the CTC guy is just wrong for saying that the stats in support of that are, at best, questionable. That didn't help.

Another shining example of cycle-friendly journalism from Auntie.

andyfromotley

User said:
(1) Except, as has been pointed out before, CCTV cameras do not measure speed - they may be useful for getting an estimate, but that is that they are useful for.

(2). No - the court found that there was no evidence he was on the pavement.

(3) I think you'll find the court found he could have moved to the right - not to the left.

Shows you how reliable interviews can be - even from police officers.

1 err yes they do, they measure time and distance, the rest is a fairly simple calculation.
2. No, i think the court heard conflicting evidence and couldnt decide. That is not the same as no evidence.
3. My mistake i think you will find.

instead of disagreeing with me you could have gone to the listen again feature on the i player and ..........errmmm listened again.

andy

mickle said:
Me too, beat me senseless and took my bike. Not in some sink estate in Sarf Landon neither, Hereford Cathedral Close.

I had someone try it about 5 years ago in Gravesend, I stamped a nice impression of a cleat in one chaps head and his mate ran away.

liambauckham

Über Member
actually no, smart, decent people are only having one (if any) children, mainly due to rising living costs, crime etc. whereas chavs are having shitloads of kids who are just as retarded as them.

in the good ole days the village idiot would do something stupid that would get themselves killed and thus taken out of the gene pool. Nowadays there will be someone in a high-viz jacket stopping the village idiot from eliminating himself and then encouraging them to have shedloads of kids and live on welfare with no consequences

so the future isnt bright, england will end up like bladerunner whereas america will be just like idiocracy

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For me I think the thing that is highlighted by this case is: the public is shocked and horrified that a cyclist killed a pedestrian, however it seems almost routinely accepted that some pedestrians or cyclists will be killed by cars ... far less outcry.

liambauckham said:
actually no, smart, decent people are only having one (if any) children, mainly due to rising living costs, crime etc. whereas chavs are having shitloads of kids who are just as retarded as them.

in the good ole days the village idiot would do something stupid that would get themselves killed and thus taken out of the gene pool. Nowadays there will be someone in a high-viz jacket stopping the village idiot from eliminating himself and then encouraging them to have shedloads of kids and live on welfare with no consequences

so the future isnt bright, england will end up like bladerunner whereas america will be just like idiocracy

They seem to be doing a pretty good job of stabbing each other to death at the moment.

lynx

Catrike UK said:
They seem to be doing a pretty good job of stabbing each other to death at the moment.

But they have already reproduced, so not removed themselves from the gene pool.

lynx said:
Actually can someone give me a precis of the 21 pages?

Cyclist rides like a nob, kills teenage girl, gets £2200 fine, media paints all cyclists as dangerous and ignores the daily deaths caused by motor vehicles, cyclists get annoyed that no one acknowledges the crap we have to put up with while still being sympathetic to the loss of this one life.

lynx

Catrike UK said:
Cyclist rides like a nob, kills teenage girl, gets £2200 fine, media paints all cyclists as dangerous and ignores the daily deaths caused by motor vehicles, cyclists get annoyed that no one acknowledges the crap we have to put up with while still being sympathetic to the loss of this one life.
This brings me to a few questions?

What is the definition of a cyclist?

That is the same precis of the discussion on several other cycling sites.

Top Bottom