Cyclist spotted holding up traffic - while ignoring new £1.2m cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonus

Veteran
Same old same old. Half a story, peppered with nonsense, written for people who will lap it up regardless.

Crankarm

Guru
I read somewhere that mile for mile, riding on cycling specific infrastructure was statistically no safer than riding on the road.

If the infrastructure was in Cambridge that seems about right, probably even more dangerous, as you have students on bikes, lots of them.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm guessing the Cambridge Evening News circulation area is some sort of travel Utopia where no one is ever inconvenienced by parked or moving motor vehicles, but only by the odd bicycle?:whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is that actually a proper cycle route, or is a it a pavement with cycle signs painted on? If the latter then I wouldn't use it given that I don't like the idea of riding at 20mph on the pavement.
And therein lies the problem. The infrastructure is designed for a nice family pootle at 8mph with the kids. For that it works fine

But if you're a cyclist wanting to go a bit faster (dare I say it, a "serious" cyclist) then you're far better off on the road

But other road users see cyclists as a homogenous group and that causes the conflict. The issue lies in design of the infrastructure

si_c

Guru
And therein lies the problem. The infrastructure is designed for a nice family pootle at 8mph with the kids. For that it works fine

But if you're a cyclist wanting to go a bit faster (dare I say it, a "serious" cyclist) then you're far better off on the road

But other road users see cyclists as a homogenous group and that causes the conflict. The issue lies in design of the infrastructure

Nail. Head.

My bike is my primary means of transportation, I use it to go to work, or the shops. When the infrastructure becomes an inconvenience, thats actually a big problem for me.

Part of the run into work is down a fairly wide and busy A-road. On each side of the road there was a wide pavement, which the council has split and designated as a cycle route. The road side half being for cycling, where the bus stops, trees, phone cabinets and railing lie, then by the time you've added side roads and driveways, it's difficult to reach a 10mph average moving speed.

That's fine for a family or for kids out for a bit of fresh air, but it's wholly unfit for the purpose of transportation.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Cambridge cycling phenomenon pre-dates the motor car. That being the case, why choose to live in Cambridge if they have a downer on bicycles?

Its like daughter #1's village, where the church bells have sounded since the 1200's. Some Muppet moves in from outside , clearly not noticing the dirty great church next door when the viewed the house, and has the cheek to complain about the noise.

Top Bottom