Cyclist v Cabbie Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
It's a bit late considering he took the time to upload it as opposed to just scrapping it for the dung it was ! An embarrassment but there are lots of them out there. Showing an innocent taxi drivers face was a bloody disgrace:cursing:

But if he had not uploaded it and took on board the criticisms, he might not have had the change of heart.

If a camera cyclist followed you around and uploaded the film of your riding, I'd put hefty wager that the people who are liking your posts and putting the boot into this chap, would be the first to say how abysmal your cyclecraft was, that you were an embarrassment, and what a nobber you were for doing x,y, and z.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
But if he had not uploaded it and took on board the criticisms, he might not have had the change of heart.

He has left the video description of the cabbie as being a "professional moron". That doesn't suggest any change of heart to me.

GC

SW19cam

Über Member
I see Peter Walker (Guardian) has tweeted saying:"This morning on my ride in I had a driver ask why I was "in the middle of the road" and what I paid to use the roads. All before 7am.". If he had a helmet camera I'm sure everyone would be saying he was going out of his way looking for trouble this morning....;)

If a camera cyclist followed you around and uploaded the film of your riding, I'd put hefty wager that the people who are liking your posts and putting the boot into this chap, would be the first to say how abysmal your cyclecraft was, that you were an embarrassment, and what a nobber you were for doing x,y, and z.
Yeh, I understand that and accept your argument for sure. And yes my friends already tell me I'm a nobber, dangerous, impatient etc. etc. because at times I am a nobber. dangerous, impatient etc. etc. so it would be nothing I haven't heard before. The difference is I am not posting videos with a disgraceful title when clearly the pictures suggest otherwise.

. Breatheeeeeeee;)

Last edited:

Origamist

Legendary Member
He has left the video description of the cabbie as being a "professional moron". That doesn't suggest any change of heart to me.

GC

Just looks like a trash-talking video title to me, uploaded soon after the event. It's symptomatic of the combative way that people perceive and approach sharing road space and market it for YouTube. Hyperbolic - certainly, and a little unfair, but after the more reflective comments in the description, I'd imagine the good Dr will hang back a bit more and just maybe, the driver will be more vigilant in future.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
just maybe, the driver will be more vigilant in future

Against what?!?! Angry cyclists with video cameras who don't pay attention to his correct driving?!?!? Should he wear a mask in case the good Dr pays him another visit, so he doesnt get back on you-tube against his will? If anything, it will probably just make him a bit anxious for a while, when he see's cyclists.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Against what?!?! Angry cyclists with video cameras who don't pay attention to his correct driving?!?!? Should he wear a mask in case the good Dr pays him another visit, so he doesnt get back on you-tube against his will? If anything, it will probably just make him a bit anxious for a while, when he see's cyclists.

If you don't know, perhaps you should take an advanced driving course.

This is more like it, anyone reporting stupid close passes mention this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItD1nY9btQ

£70 fine and three points, result!

PK99

Legendary Member
I think (and hopefully @coco69 will agree) that it is not he who feeling guilty about the actions of bad cyclists. As he pointed out, he was referring to "..a lot of non cyclists.." who tar all cyclists with the same brush. Now, whilst I agree that this approach is flawed it is still true to say that a great many people hold this view and, when they see any cyclist breaking some law, use it to reinforce their prejudice.

I am not responsible for the actions of other cyclists but you only have to look at the comments below any blog post or newspaper letter/article involving cycling to see the number of idiots who think we share some sort of collective responsibility. In that respect, coco69 is correct.

GC

Just as one only needs read forums such as this to find some cyclists tarring all motorists with the same brush because of the actions of one.

Exile

We all make mistakes, and sometimes when we get frustrated about them, we direct that frustration at someone who doesn't really deserve it. Would I have gone for that gap? I'd like to think not, but I've done similarly stupid things myself, either when rushing or just not paying as much attention as I really should have been.

As for the "It does/doesn't give all cyclists a bad name" argument, can we just agree that, as several others have stated, whilst we might not feel personally responsible for the actions of others, their behaviour is often used by others as a reason why "all cyclists..." and therefore we all end up tarred with the same brush. See also White Van Man, Audi/BMW driver and woman driver as other examples of people branding an entire group based on limited experience.

Top Bottom