Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Having been a jogger until recently giving it up due to artritis, I reckon its because a lot of them get in the zone and their conscious brain retreats to let the autonomous systems run things for a while.
I have to take the weight off my bended left knee when carrying stuff. I go down steps with my left leg dead straight and my right leg leading the way and doing the bending. When I'm not carrying stuff, I can manage it normally but I get a pinch pain with every step.

No trouble at though pumping my legs up a steep hill on a bike?

snorri

Legendary Member
Years ago, I had a 1965 Morris Minor 1000 and they were not uncommon on the roads at the time.But whenever you saw one approaching, you always gave a flash of your lights and maybe a smile in recognition of your shared passion (although in my case, it was a very cheap car to buy at the time and I really wanted a Ford Capri).
Indeed, I heard that thousands of Royal Mail and Post Office Telephone employees were on the sick due to eye damage caused by these flashing lights:whistle:.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Obviously every step of 'pavement pounding' sends a shockwave up through the skeleton to the brain, causing a cumulative liquifaction that gradually turns all joggers into grumpy aholes.
I was thinking about that when they were talking on the news earlier in the week about the link between dementia and heading a football.

Surely an hours jogging (which makes your brain to do a six inch slam dunk every half a second) would cause at least as much damage as a lifetime of FA Cup winning glancing headers?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
You're forgetting that runners have shock absorbers such as their legs to take the impact.
I see proper runners and I see joggers.

Proper runners glide along with their head up, joggers pound along looking down using a technique specifically designed to destroy their internal organs.

I started cycling more frequently last July - mostly along a route to the airport and back

At the time most cyclists nodded or waved to each other - which was nice so I joined in. As people started to recognise me I got more and more nice waved etc
On narrower paths - as opposed to proper roads - a lot of people also said 'morning' hello or whatever

Joggers - not so much - but I would agree with the concept that a lot of they do not have any breath to spare - or energy to move an arm out of the jogging swing

During lockdown the number of other cyclists increased - some nodded/waved but some didn't - you could say that if a cyclists didn't wave/nod then they were a 'lockdown only' cyclists

Slightly weird thing - passed a female cyclists on a path at one point - nodded and said 'morning' - she just glared at me and snapped "NO" - which was a bit strange - she must have been having a bad day

I find loads of cyclists are pig ignorant and ignore you if you say hello. Invariably on road bikes. Can't give an opinion on runners as see very little and those i do see I know.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Slightly weird thing - passed a female cyclists on a path at one point - nodded and said 'morning' - she just glared at me and snapped "NO" - which was a bit strange - she must have been having a bad day

My daughter is 20 and is at Uni and she detests it when male cyclists say hello.

In her mind, she sees an ulterior motive which is a shame because 99.9% of them only see her as a fellow cyclist.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Nobody's mentioned the simple truth that it's probably not possible to get any words out loud enough between breaths while running... all the ones I pass are friendly enough, just not capable of speech!

a.twiddler

Veteran
With reference to joggers, maybe it depends on what sort of area you live in.

Are you confusing people in shell suits, fleeing the scene of a crime, with joggers?

Some joggers do seem a bit intense, but perhaps they are focused on their own PBs dictated by their Smartwatch, or whatever system is favoured by runners, in the way some cyclists are, in their world of pain and determination. Everything else gets tuned out, they aren't deliberately being rude.

I certainly get responses if I come across joggers on a mixed use track for example.

I would rather sit on a saddle and let the chain take the strain than than walk or run and since I ventured into the strange and wonderful world of recumbents I can even do it lying down (almost).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Nobody's mentioned the simple truth that it's probably not possible to get any words out loud enough between breaths while running... all the ones I pass are friendly enough, just not capable of speech!
I doubt anyone jogging - or running - in public is putting in that level of exertion. They're simply being more miserable than those that do respond.

Top Bottom