Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I get as many hellos from runners as I get from cyclists, some runners are miserable as are some cyclists. I do normally greet either cyclists or runners I come across, but it doesn't bother me if the greeting is not returned.
It could be simply that there is a code of conduct which dictates that cyclists must give a nod to other cyclists?

Or maybe there isn't a code of conduct at all?

F*(ed if know.

That's why I asked the question,

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why run /jog when someone went to the trouble to invent the Bicycle. That's just weird.

Exactly my point. Why run when you can get there faster and have more fun on a bike?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I doubt anyone jogging - or running - in public is putting in that level of exertion. They're simply being more miserable than those that do respond.

I'm a runner as well as a cyclist.

And relentlessly cheery when out and about.

But running is definitely harder, unless we're talking 1 in 4 Hill climbs.

I only run from home atm so there's a fair chance that anyone I see will know me at least by sight, so it makes sense to be friendly, just in case.

Resisting the temptation to stop and chat, esp on hills is, actually quite hard.

Especially as my running mate is 20 *years my junior and has even longer legs than me. :sad:

The being out of puff thing, is definitely a thing.

Outside of that, I think it's the same as with anyone, cyclists, runners, walkers whoever.. Some folks are friendly, some are in 'the zone' and others just cba with greeting passing strangers.

Surely sheer volume of people makes a difference too?? If I'm hiking and haven't seen anyone all day, then I'll stop for a chat if I see someone.

In a busier place where there's someone every half mile, that gets a bit repetitive, so I don't bother ..

Edit.. *Oh shoot.. It's more like 30 years :sad:

Last edited:

shnjmsn

Über Member
I'm mostly a cyclist, though when the roads are horrible and very dark after work in the winter I do tend to migrate a bit more to running during the week, albeit very slowly.......... I always say hello to everyone I pass, dog walkers, cyclists, runners.......... Whether I'm on the bike or running. Some respond, some don't.......... I'm not too hung up on it. It makes me happy that I've said hello or good morning and they've ignored me ^_^ I may even shout 'lovely day' afterwards if they've chosen to ignore me...........

To be fair it's been proper murky dark and grey here in Somerset today, visibility was rubbish for most of the morning. I was ignored on two different occasions by cyclists dressed in black with no lights................ But to be fair I was in yellow lycra with lights everywhere............ Everyone else said hello ! :hello:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Even if I am feeling particularly grumpy and unsociable I try to remember that it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. So even if your greeting seems to be wasted on people, perhaps just by the law of averages, some of them will feel better disposed to the next cyclist they may come across. Usually, once I get going on two wheels I feel pretty good anyway, so I'm not too bothered if someone doesn't respond. I think it would be a fair stretch for anyone to describe me as relentlessly cheery, even so.

If I'm on the tourer people are least responsive, if I'm on the folder people find me more approachable, if I'm on the recumbent I have to beat them off with a stick! Yet there are still people who are so oblivious to their surroundings that you could ride past naked on a unicycle and they still wouldn't acknowledge you if you said hello.

Yesterday I slowed right up on canal path to 4 Mph (on Garmin) and from 10 metres or so away gentle said ”Good Morning, may I just squeeze past” as I had done multiple times along the path. On this occasion the couple turned and stepped aside and as I past told me to “bloody slow down”........... I was at walking pace. I said what a lovely day it was and hoped they had a lovely walk. Miserable gits. My broken nose and scares above eyes must make me look a crazy cycling thug :blush:
Miserable people in all walks of life. Hence I run in the hills away from them all.
Social distancing Rules:hyper:
Keep the 2 metre rule
No mixing forever :laugh:

Come to think of it a "pack" of cyclist used to pass me regularly on the way to the pub. About 15 of them all but one was pig ignorant apart from a lady cyclist. All the rest clearly thought it was beneath them to say hello to someone on a touring bike.

I would expect a runner to just lift there hand in a reply to a cyclist hello. They are after all likely to be out of breath. Unlike a cyclist they are working just as hard running downhill as they are uphill.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Come to think of it a "pack" of cyclist used to pass me regularly on the way to the pub. About 15 of them all but one was pig ignorant apart from a lady cyclist. All the rest clearly thought it was beneath them to say hello to someone on a touring bike.

Interesting isn't it.

I'll often be ignored by packs of roadies, if I'm out on an unclad bike.

But if I've got all my touring packs on they will more often acknowledge me.

As if I at least fit into some sort of 'proper' cyclist category.. ^_^

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I'm a runner as well as a cyclist.

And relentlessly cheery when out and about.

But running is definitely harder, unless we're talking 1 in 4 Hill climbs.
:sad:

I considered joining the local "couch to 10k" group a year ago after seeing what it had done for a couple of my mates.

I actually went down to the park to join but one of the more popular members is a guy I caught pinching (big time) from work a few years ago. I gave him the choice of either resigning his job or being reported by me. He resigned citing "family issues" and we have retained cordial (but not entirely friendly) relations since.

When I saw him holding court as I entered the park, I couldn't bring myself to ruin his evening so I looked down at the pavement and did a quick jog around half of the park before walking home via the pub and the chippy. Running seems too complicated for me.

When I'm blasting it down a hill on my bike, I don't have people yapping in my ear.

Solitude for an hour or two is a great thing.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I considered joining the local "couch to 10k" group a year ago after seeing what it had done for a couple of my mates.

I actually went down to the park to join but one of the more popular members is a guy I caught pinching (big time) from work a few years ago. I gave him the choice of either resigning his job or being reported by me. He resigned citing "family issues" and we have retained cordial (but not entirely friendly) relations since.

When I saw him holding court as I entered the park, I couldn't bring myself to ruin his evening so I looked down at the pavement and did a quick jog around half of the park before walking home via the pub and the chippy. Running seems too complicated for me.

When I'm blasting it down a hill on my bike, I don't have people yapping in my ear.

Solitude for an hour or two is a great thing.

Yes solitude can be a fine thing, for sure...

But running is only as complicated as you want to make it.

I put on my running shoes, suitable clothes and go out for an hour, twice or three times a week.

It helps that I have someone living here who is into running at a similar speed, and for a similar distance, to go with on the cba type days.

Sometimes we chat, sometimes not.

Sentences are necessarily short on the uphill :angel:

But I do have the advantage of living in an area with an abundance of green lanes, heathland, and fine views for off road running.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about doing it in the town, but you can usually find somewhere reasonably nice / interesting wherever you are.

But no, running whilst being harangued by a loudmouthed, ego tripper doesn't sound like much fun at all :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I love living so close to the lakes, in winter especially its great seeing hardly anyone out running in the hills :laugh:

No need to rub it in..

Today wasn't so awful in these parts either.

Top Bottom