Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpj84

Veteran
This caught me out when I started running a few years ago - I assumed the etiquette was the same as cycling, and was a bit surprised when most runners ignored my greeting.

I quickly realised road running is rubbish,and started running on the fells though - where everyone greets everyone ^_^

carvelos

Joggers are just fine it's the dog walkers who literally pour out venom like a hagfish pours out slime that I love saying hello to when cycling. I always explain that I have plenty of time for them to leash their hounds and that I am not in the habit of squashing sausage dogs or spaffing spaniels. Nothing seems to make them believe me

We have a great series of passive aggressive signs on our cycle routes here on the iOW. The signs read 'cyclist ring bell' but does not go on to explain when or why. I have worn out three cheap pingers and an old trusty bell of a Raleigh complying with this instruction.

LJR69

I found most joggers would nod or smile when I was jogging. I tell you what I have noticed though. If I'm out on my road bike most other road cyclists will acknowledge or say hi when you pass them. If I'm out on my mtb and pass a road cyclist the acknowledgement drops to about 50% lol

Lostagain

Plenty of cyclists in this part of Kent who steadfastly ignore me. Just assume that they are miserable b*st*rds

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Joggers are just fine it's the dog walkers who literally pour out venom like a hagfish pours out slime that I love saying hello to when cycling. I always explain that I have plenty of time for them to leash their hounds and that I am not in the habit of squashing sausage dogs or spaffing spaniels. Nothing seems to make them believe me

We have a great series of passive aggressive signs on our cycle routes here on the iOW. The signs read 'cyclist ring bell' but does not go on to explain when or why. I have worn out three cheap pingers and an old trusty bell of a Raleigh complying with this instruction.

You are only meant to ring the bell when passing the sign.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm going to disagree with those who are saying runners aren't friendly. First of all, I haven't run in many years. But I used to run the same trails that I have ridden on the mountain bike. Runners are just as friendly. I will admit that running is more difficult or more taxing on the cardiovascular system than biking. Therefore it can be harder to speak while running. But when I would pass another runner there was always some sort of recognition, whether it be a nod of the head to a wave of the hand or a "Hey!" as I used to do. To suggest that bikers are more friendly than runners is a gross over-generalization. It's like saying that all Trump fans are stupid or all Biden fans are liberals. I haven't run in ages and identify more as a biker these days. But I don't presume to think that bikers are more friendly or better than runners. That's just silly. ^_^

C R

Guru
If I ring my bell but there is no one there to hear it, have I TRULY rung my bell??
It depends on whether you're recording your ride on Strava.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Seems to be a few runners here but the running forum off-shoot never seems to have taken off.

Well I'm a runner, as in I run..
But maybe don't think of myself as "A Runner" -

But then I'm also a cyclist, as in that I cycle.
But not sure if I think of myself as "A Cyclist"

So..

In which case -

- what the heck am I even doing here ???

Oh shoot, thanks for the existential crisis @Mo1959

And its only Tuesday :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm definitely a plodder these days with all my lumbar disc and sciatic issues that have plagued me, but I am a stubborn pig so have just started day one of the Marcothon Challenge. Just another 30 days to run this month! :wacko::laugh:

Just keep going..

And in my professional yoga teaching capacity, I do have to enquire as to whether you're doing your post run stretches properly??

I didn't the other day, post run and my sacro iliacs really gave me a hard time for it.

I've got a number of runners in my classes who say they've been pretty much pain free knees, hips and back since learning the right moves.

Although my back hurt quite a lot the other day after all day work on the farm, and then felt better for a run..

Maybe we just need to keep moving, otherwise we might seize up..

Top Bottom