Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ll admit to been a runner. At the start of a run I’ll say morning and give cyclists and pedestrians a wave but when I am midway through or near the end I am usually dying and struggling to keep my pace going so the most you’ll get from me is a nod or a wave acknowledgment as I can’t breath well and say hi back! It’s the equivalent of grinding up a hill trying to hold a conversation or sing when on a bike.

mikeIow

Guru
It is curious.....I’ve noticed on some recent rides that I would say only about half the cyclists wave/smile/nod.
I’m baffled why so many ignore a cyclist going the other way. Not after a massive greeting, but a nod and/or a smile isn’t too hard to manage, surely. Or is that surly :ohmy: I always try to smile and say “hi”.
Frankly, the ones who ignore me look somewhat miserable as well.
Maybe for some my lack of drop bars or excessive lycra paints me as a fake cyclist :laugh:

steverob

Guru
Back when I was a runner, I never did it because I enjoyed it; it was a means to getting fitter or because I was training for something specific (usually a much longer run I'd planned in the future). Because of that, when I was out I was focused on just getting it done (and getting it over with as soon as possible!) with my head down and would rarely notice other people except to avoid them as though they were just obstacles I didn't want to run in to - mobile lamp-posts if you will. Plus I rarely had much breath left that could be used to say "hello" even if I'd wanted to.

Whereas when I'm out on my bike, I'm there because I want to be - I'm enjoying myself and the fitness/excerise I'm getting is just a happy by-product. So normally when I'm riding, unless I'm doing something silly like sprinting for a village sign or coming to the top of a big hill, I'm usually in a comfort zone and able to react to my fellow riders positively because I'm in a good mood. Or at least that's my excuse.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Unlike some, I enjoy running, albeit slowly these days. Much better way to get through the winter for me, and actually gives me more of a buzz than cycling. I don’t see many people as I go out so early but on the odd occasion always say a Hi or Good Morning.

Going to give the Marcothon challenge a go to get me through December. Have to run a minimum of 25 minutes or 3 miles every day of the month. It’s more of a mental challenge than physical.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I’ll admit to been a runner. At the start of a run I’ll say morning and give cyclists and pedestrians a wave but when I am midway through or near the end I am usually dying and struggling to keep my pace going so the most you’ll get from me is a nod or a wave acknowledgment as I can’t breath well and say hi back! It’s the equivalent of grinding up a hill trying to hold a conversation or sing when on a bike.

To flip this thread onto its head, I see joggers as people trying to do exactly the same things as me. Getting out of the house and taking in the world in an attempt to improve their lives.

That's why I always say hello.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Running engages far more of the body than cycling and so, is much tougher. It's likely that the joggers the OP sees are puffed out.

Experienced runners, as @Drago mentioned, tend to zone out. It's a sort of semi-trance and the most wonderful feeling.

Running engages far more of the body than cycling and so, is much tougher. It's likely that the joggers the OP sees are puffed out.

Experienced runners, as @Drago mentioned, tend to zone out. It's a sort of semi-trance and the most wonderful feeling.
Looks like that when you see proper runners bouncing along with a perfect rhythm and efficient looking action
it's just the amount of effort to get to that stage when I've never been any kind of a runner - at school I used to job for most of the 400 yards races we had to do in PE in summer - turns out I had mild asthma which I found out when I was in my fifties!!

C R

Guru
I get as many hellos from runners as I get from cyclists, some runners are miserable as are some cyclists. I do normally greet either cyclists or runners I come across, but it doesn't bother me if the greeting is not returned.

When I'm on canal paths I normally stop to let joggers get past without too much slowing down or moving - I reckon it is easier for me to stop and get going again on my ebike than it is for a jogger - partly due to breaking their rhythm
If I do that I normally get a thanks - or wave or something

faster

Über Member
As someone who's equally keen on running and cycling, I think this is because the runner will already have said 'hi' or given a friendly wave to multiple runners that they actually know, and probably doesn't feel the need to respond to random strangers.

Running has a very strong community aspect to it at the moment which is almost completely absent from cycling. Hard truth, but as a pastime, running is more sociable than cycling by a factor of about 1,000 - the differences are stark in my opinion.

The difference is undoubtedly due to parkrun - cycling has no equivalent.

It's not difficult to see how hundreds of runners meeting up every Saturday at over 700 different locations in the UK alone will build strong friendly communities.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not sure how a monosyllabic 'Hi' is anything like singing or holding a conversation!

It's fine if people don't want to be sociable, there's no need for spurious excuses.

Top Bottom