Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
My joints don’t like it either, but I am seriously stubborn and determined when it comes to a challenge. :laugh:
That's why I never start those kind of challenges in the first place. 😂

I had a knee problem in the summer which was helped by online physio from Salford University's sports science department, they sent me emails with stretches and exercises that worked for me, I can see if I've still got them if you like?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That's why I never start those kind of challenges in the first place. 😂

I had a knee problem in the summer which was helped by online physio from Salford University's sports science department, they sent me emails with stretches and exercises that worked for me, I can see if I've still got them if you like?
Think it’s nerve damage from my back Colin. Two very bad bouts of sciatica which, even after the worst of the pain cleared, left some numbness in my legs and feet that’s never gone away and I think leg strength has reduced too. Can’t even push off from my toes now. Maybe should have had back surgery but it’s not always a success and I don’t want to end up worse! Happened to speak to my retired doctor who’s a keen runner and he says surgery is last resort and avoid if possible so I will just plod on the best I can.

stephec

Legendary Member
Think it’s nerve damage from my back Colin. Two very bad bouts of sciatica which, even after the worst of the pain cleared, left some numbness in my legs and feet that’s never gone away and I think leg strength has reduced too. Can’t even push off from my toes now. Maybe should have had back surgery but it’s not always a success and I don’t want to end up worse! Happened to speak to my retired doctor who’s a keen runner and he says surgery is last resort and avoid if possible so I will just plod on the best I can.
Pilates did my joints some good, the gym I used to use had a class on a Monday night, trouble was my running club had a track night at the same time. 😊

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's not just you, I run three times a week but if I tried everyday my joints wouldn't like it, rest days are my favourite days.

Well in my professional capacity as a yoga teacher I have come across a lot of people who have b*ggered themselves up with pushing on through joint pain, in running and other sporting activities.

Even 'excessive' cycling.

I've been able to help some of them, but not all.
Once cartilage is gone it's gone, although they can do marvels with keyhole surgery on some repairs.

I want and need to carry on hillwalking, cycling, running, farming, and practising / teaching Yoga for as long as possible.

So I'm afraid I'm one of those dull old 'moderation in all things' (not including moderation) type people.
My joints don’t like it either, but I am seriously stubborn and determined when it comes to a challenge. :laugh:

Just keep up with the stretching then.

Sciatica is often, but not always related to tight hamstrings.

And a narrowing and or compressing of the sacro iliac joint - that can be too much sitting.. Or sitting on cr*p chairs..

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Well in my professional capacity as a yoga teacher I have come across a lot of people who have b*ggered themselves up with pushing on through joint pain, in running and other sporting activities.

Even 'excessive' cycling.

I've been able to help some of them, but not all.
Once cartilage is gone it's gone, although they can do marvels with keyhole surgery on some repairs.

I want and need to carry on hillwalking, cycling, running, farming, and practising / teaching Yoga for as long as possible.

So I'm afraid I'm one of those dull old 'moderation in all things' (not including moderation) type people.

Just keep up with the stretching then.

Sciatica is often, but not always related to tight hamstrings.

And a narrowing and or compressding of the sacro iliac joint - that can be too much sitting.. Or sitting on cr*p chairs..
My right knee started to make a grinding noise not so long ago, no pain but it did seem a bit weird when I first heard it. The physio reckoned that it was just the joint being out of alignment, which was causing the pain, and nothing permanent.

Luckily it seems as if she's right because plenty of stretches and strengthening exercises have settled things down, still taking my time building the running up again though, back in February I could run 11 steady miles easily, whilst 5 is enough at the moment.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My right knee started to make a grinding noise not so long ago, no pain but it did seem a bit weird when I first heard it. The physio reckoned that it was just the joint being out of alignment, which was causing the pain, and nothing permanent.

Luckily it seems as if she's right because plenty of stretches and strengthening exercises have settled things down, still taking my time building the running up again though, back in February I could run 11 steady miles easily, whilst 5 is enough at the moment.

Yes exercises properly done can really help knees .

*I've had a lot of 'success with dodgy knees' over the twenty or so years I've been teaching.

*Although of course, it isn't 'me' that's done it. It's the method, combined with their owners dedication to the craft. :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
*Although of course, it isn't 'me' that's done it. It's the method, combined with their owners dedication to the craft. :smile:
On that subject, a mate in my club once said to me, 'my problem is that when I'm injured I do the exercises that the physio gives me, but I stop doing them once I'm better again,' and to be fair this is the first time that I've ever kept them up properly as well.

As a physio once said to me, 'the biggest problem is getting a patient to do the exercises that we give them.'

And if I think back to a few years ago when I used to lift weights regularly I never had any joint pains, well apart from a shoulder impingement once. 😄

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
On that subject, a mate in my club once said to me, 'my problem is that when I'm injured I do the exercises that the physio gives me, but I stop doing them once I'm better again,' and to be fair this is the first time that I've ever kept them up properly as well.

As a physio once said to me, 'the biggest problem is getting a patient to do the exercises that we give them.'

And if I think back to a few years ago when I used to lift weights regularly I never had any joint pains, well apart from a shoulder impingement once. 😄

I'm afraid it's an inescapable truth that you can get away with more, and recover from injury faster when you are younger.

But it's never too late to start making those changes.

I've had students start in their eighties, and gain benefit.

But in general, the sooner the better 👍

lazybloke

Considering a new username

In my 30s, my right knee felt quite loose and unstable; I thought it would be the end of my cycling days, just as I was beginning to enjoy the local bridleways by mountainbile.
But it had been a LACK of exercise that was making my body fail. A few months of occasional rides and my knee was back to normal.
Am on the cusp of 50 and still no problems.

Top Bottom