Cyclists Always Say Hello But Joggers Not So Much.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Lol. Has to be every day of the month with no rest days, even Christmas! :laugh: Just has to be for a minimum of 3 miles or 25 minutes whichever comes first, but I usually do a bit longer. Lots of easy days thrown in as a sort of recovery.

Sure its fine if you're used to it.

Depends on your general level of fitness, but I was always under the impression you were supposed to have 'zero' days for recovery.

Well that's my excuse for having slack days on long hikes, or bike rides, and I'm sticking with it Mo ^_^

I remember being at a Col somewhere in the mountains enjoying the view.

This guy sweated his way up to the top, clearly accompanied by some sort of personal trainer, he looked like he was about to pause for a breather (or die) but no his tormentor shouted out, "don't stop, no breaks"

And harried him down the other side.

Seems like you're a "no breaks" kind of woman too ^_^

Have fun ^_^

shnjmsn

Über Member
I'm doing the Marcothon Challenge. Running every day in December. :wacko::laugh:

Just back from a very leisurely 9 miles. Freezing here and roads a bit sparkly.

Aaaaaaah............. I'm not that keen ! I'd still rather ride 100 miles for a coffee on a Saturday morning than run for 3 miles....... but needs must ! 🏃‍♂️😂

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've been far too rude to runners, and have decided i'll give a go so I can see for myself how difficult it is. I'm working up to it... Maybe this weekend.

John482

I never noticed too much. A lot of cyclists will say hello though but that's understandable we're all into the same thing. Joggers might say hello to joggers I suppose. I've noticed I even get respect from ADV (adventure bike) riders. That surprised me, I don't think of myself as a biker. I guess it's because we both do our thing on 2 wheels.

mitchp

This is an interesting topic as I've often pondered on it as have been a little upset many times at not getting a return wave or hello ...... from fellow cyclists! Most of my cycling is around London and Essex countryside and perhaps being a little old fashioned (in my 60's now) I always waved to other cyclists but I have to say that about 50% never respond, which I find quite upsetting and bad mannered. I mostly ride solo and when out on a long ride it really does help to lift spirits when you get a friendly wave. Lady cyclists in particular never seem to respond for some reason.So come on all you cyclists and give a wave! On the other hand when I meet a jogger in opposite direction they always smile or wave when I say hello and I see and share their pain!

MntnMan62

Über Member
This is an interesting topic as I've often pondered on it as have been a little upset many times at not getting a return wave or hello ...... from fellow cyclists! Most of my cycling is around London and Essex countryside and perhaps being a little old fashioned (in my 60's now) I always waved to other cyclists but I have to say that about 50% never respond, which I find quite upsetting and bad mannered. I mostly ride solo and when out on a long ride it really does help to lift spirits when you get a friendly wave. Lady cyclists in particular never seem to respond for some reason.So come on all you cyclists and give a wave! On the other hand when I meet a jogger in opposite direction they always smile or wave when I say hello and I see and share their pain!

If you ride in a pretty densely populated area then there are tons of other cyclists out there riding. Waving or acknnowledging each and every one of them can become quite daunting. It then becomes a chore. You ride near London where I imagine there are lots of people riding. I find it interesting that you find it both upsetting and bad mannered. I don't want to offend but expecting each and every rider to acknowledge you seems to be a lil bit narcissistic. Just a lil bit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwxobtNRFQ

Weekend riders are more friendly, apart from the full-on head down, arse up in the air lycra brigade who are more concerned about getting their PB than they are about communicating with anyone else. God forbid, it might cost them 0.1 mph!

You said what I was thinking. You can almost predict who you are or aren't going to get a nod from based on the seriousness of the kit/bike being used. There are obviously some exceptions but I can't believe it costs that much time or energy just to make a small acknowledgment.

That said, I got overtaken going up a hill the other week by one such person and he shouted something like "let's have it" - I wasn't sure he was taking the piss or genuinely be encouraging as I was clearly knackered :blush:

Different strokes or different folks I guess.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Are these sausage suits really necessary? They only look good on women IMO 🤣

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I find them a mixed bag. Joggers generally are miserable buggers, or the've got headphones on and are oblivious to the world. There's the odd exception, but not many. Dog walkers on gravel paths are much more civilised and interactive.
Commuting cyclists on weekdays generally don't nod or wave. I suspect a lot don't cycle from choice and don't like having to do it, as they often look grumpy.
Weekend riders are more friendly, apart from the full-on head down, arse up in the air lycra brigade who are more concerned about getting their PB than they are about communicating with anyone else. God forbid, it might cost them 0.1 mph!

I haven't really been following this thread, but i hasn't taken it very long to say roadie cyclists are unfriendly for not saying hello.
So here's your
1608041648852.png

And as for commuting cyclists not saying hello as they don't cycle from choice? :rolleyes:

Cycle Chat Bingo in full effect, so you've certainly earnt it.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm more of a mountain biker. Hence the mountain bike clipless pedals and shoes and helmet. I've already said that when road riding I don't give a rat's xxx whether anyone waves at me or I wave at them. I can't freaking believe there are 8 pages devoted to this ridiculous topic. There seem to be some pretty uptight people in here who get their panties in a twist if they some stranger doesn't wave at them and acknowledge their presence. How ridiculously insecure.

stephec

Legendary Member
Wow that's keen, but I'll bet it was very picturesque.

You're not really running everyday are you -?
Don't you need a day of rest and recovery, to prevent injury.

Or is that just me finding an excuse not to go everyday ??
It's not just you, I run three times a week but if I tried everyday my joints wouldn't like it, rest days are my favourite days.

Top Bottom