Cyclists and littering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The news for banana-lobbers is not good. Unless there a few handy baboons lurking in the bushes, they hang around for up to two years.
Lookee here...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/24/bananas-litter-hikers-mountains-scotland
I keep my banana sequestered, no point in showing off :becool:.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I hate litter too. Everything goes in a bin or comes home with me, no excuses.

I remember a walker/climber friend from many years ago. She would complain about the litter on the mountain sides making it look a mess. Her solution was to hide her cig butts under the rocks where they couldn't be seen!:rolleyes:

400bhp

Guru
I wonder if it's worth us (CycleChat) or some other "organisation" trying to encourage energy gel suppliers to make the wrapping bio-degradeable?

I hate the bloody things, not just because they are a sticky mess but because stuff like this (where it's meant to be a throw away item) should be easily degraded, which clearly the packets are not.

They could also be better designed so that they are easier to open and not leave a messy residue. It strikes me as very little thought has gone into the design. I find them a real PITA to open and consume on the move as it is, not withstanding deciding what to do with it afterwards.

If [insert gel maker] added a small margin on a gel pack in order for it to be bio-degradeable I'd consider buying it.

I regularly pick nearly a carrier bag worth of litter when mtbing (trail centres or not) or when out walking/climbing. I find it disgusting, but think that its best to lead by example and do your bit and pick it up. There are idiots everywhere and although you can try and educate them in the meantime the litter won't pick itself up.

As for the recent boom in energy gels etc although they may be messy I don't see any excuse for dropping them (on purpose) surely people wash their clothes afterwards so what's the issue with a bit of gel in your pocket? If you don't like it, don't buy it!!!!!!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

beastie

Guru
239384.bmp

Reusable gel tubes

beastie

Guru

Part of the beauty of getting out cycling is being able to enjoy the countryside which is a privellage so why anyone would want to litter is beyond me. I can say though the local Warwickshire countryside on the edge of Birmingham does get used by a lot of cyclists but there doesn't seem to be any sign of cycle related litter :smile:

Definitely, unfortunately every ride Ive had into the middle of rural nowhere has been spoiled in part by some dumb dumper :sad:

fullcycle

Definitely, unfortunately every ride Ive had into the middle of rural nowhere has been spoiled in part by some dumb dumper :sad:
Its always a shame to see this, I like to think cyclists are not to blame (although sometimes they are). Picnic spots and places like that where cars go can be some of the worst:sad:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I was on an Audax ride at the end of last month and being me I was right at the back of the field. I know there were a lot of other club cyclists out that day (mainly because they kept passing me) but I was rather disappointed with the number of gel packets I saw in the hedges and on the verges along the route in what was otherwise reasonably litter free countryside.

In the same way that as you go up the fells away from roads the litter problem decreases as the more hardened walkers are more considerate, I was really hoping that as distances people rode got longer there would be more respect for the environment we were out to enjoy. :sad:

I've always found cake is far less sticky and the packaging is easier to deal with :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
When I was new to the Peterborough/ Northamptonshire area I was on the edge of getting lost then I saw the trail of Gel wrappers and remembered the Sportive I had passed earlier :wacko:

That's one of the major objections the locals round here have to the Fred Whitton. Annoyingly as a local cyclist I get moaned at about it, despite never having ridden the ride :rolleyes:

beastie

Guru
That's one of the major objections the locals round here have to the Fred Whitton. Annoyingly as a local cyclist I get moaned at about it, despite never having ridden the ride :rolleyes:
I got collared by some old yokel out in the sticks on my way back to Penrith(on the C2C route). He was full of righteous indignation over cycling litter louts. I showed him the litter in my pocket as proof that it was not I, but I don't think he believed me. I was very sympathetic until he pointed out the 4 lager cans in the hedgerow, I doubt that C2Cers
are gonna drink wife beater on the bike.

Top Bottom