Cyclists and littering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fullcycle

I got collared by some old yokel out in the sticks on my way back to Penrith(on the C2C route). He was full of righteous indignation over cycling litter louts. I showed him the litter in my pocket as proof that it was not I, but I don't think he believed me. I was very sympathetic until he pointed out the 4 lager cans in the hedgerow, I doubt that C2Cers
are gonna drink wife beater on the bike.
Deffinatley not - more like a rewarding pint of ale at the end of the ride :cheers:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I was a kid, dropping litter had the same social stigma that being a paedophile has today. As a result, I just can't do it. It just makes my blood boil when I see people chucking their stuff on the ground. I just find the complete lack of "civility" so depressing.

( I am Brian Sewell and ICMFP)

That's one of the major objections the locals round here have to the Fred Whitton. Annoyingly as a local cyclist I get moaned at about it, despite never having ridden the ride :rolleyes:
I've heard that about a few sportives; the last sportive I did I used cereal bars (wrappers in the pocket) / food stops and left the gel unopened, maybe I could have shaved a few seconds by using a messy gel but would I have enjoyed it more :wacko: I hope the organisers included something to clear up after the other riders :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got collared by some old yokel out in the sticks on my way back to Penrith(on the C2C route). He was full of righteous indignation over cycling litter louts. I showed him the litter in my pocket as proof that it was not I, but I don't think he believed me. I was very sympathetic until he pointed out the 4 lager cans in the hedgerow, I doubt that C2Cers
are gonna drink wife beater on the bike.
.....and another thing, what about cowsh#t....?

snorri

Legendary Member
The news for banana-lobbers is not good. Unless there a few handy baboons lurking in the bushes, they hang around for up to two years.
Lookee here...

Err yes, but leaving things on top of a Scottish mountain is much like leaving them in the freezer compartment of your fridge for the best part of the year.;)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Err yes, but leaving things on top of a Scottish mountain is much like leaving them in the freezer compartment of your fridge for the best part of the year.;)
I have heard that Scotland might be even worse than that. Still, maybe the midges gobble them up eventually.

I'll hold my hands up and admit, there have been times I have lobbed a gel packet! Generally I put any litter (little bit of cling film) up my short leg, banana skins back in my jersey pocket, gel packets, usually wedged somewhere on the bike so I don't get sticky pockets etc, but on occasion when they have been exceptionally sticky, or if I all of a sudden needed free hands I have lobbed it. No excuse, poor behaviour on my part, but I have done it and chances are there will be some occasions in the future when I do it again, albeit few and far between.

This is a refreshing post on these pages. Rarely does one see a post in which the author admits to human levels of fallibility.

Of course, Rob3rt is nonetheless very bad and wrong and naughty and will spend an eternity in Hell, but the admission will be taken into consideration at the time of sentencing.

If there was a 'very like' button, I'd click on it.

400bhp

Guru
239384.bmp

Reusable gel tubes

Try emptying a gel packet into one of those...

Trickedem

Guru
I abhor littering and I have taken people to task when I have seen them do it. The worse thing in the Kentish lanes is illegal dumping. This is since the new rules were introduced and people needed a licence to carry waste and were stopped from taking commercial waste to municipal dumps. The amount of builders waste dumped on verges is enormous, the unforeseen consequence of introducing new legislation. There a few signs put up by the council to say they will prosecute and that video surveillance is being used, but I haven't heard about any successful prosecutions.

400bhp

Guru
It opens at the wide end too........

Good, it's a solution but not a panacea. To get people to buy into it the gels don't need to be bought, emptied into a secondary container and then used.

However, they look like something I'd consider. I actually generally don't use gels because of the PITA way they have to be opened and if this is easier to use on a ride then it seems good. Do you have a link?

Top Bottom