Cyclists Blamed for Bus Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I feel grossly insulted by your suggestion that I speed.

<snip>

So don't make assumptions please.

I mean no offence and I'm not suggesting you speed/break the speed limit but you seem to have to slam your brakes on quite frequently by the sound of it. I believe a speed awareness course would help you with this.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
and table tops in the street this week.

I hope it mproves the environment of your street.

Living beside a rat run is unpleasant in several ways, as I know from my time in London.

A word of caution, table tops/ramps can add to noise as the drivers engine brake, the suspension 'crashes' over the hump, and they accelerate towards the next one, where the process is repeated.

I'm aware of one street where the residents campaigned for humps, got them, but then became split 50/50 over whether they should be removed due to excessive noise.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I hope it mproves the environment of your street.

Living beside a rat run is unpleasant in several ways, as I know from my time in London.

A word of caution, table tops/ramps can add to noise as the drivers engine brake, the suspension 'crashes' over the hump, and they accelerate towards the next one, where the process is repeated.

I'm aware of one street where the residents campaigned for humps, got them, but then became split 50/50 over whether they should be removed due to excessive noise.

Agreed; at a place called Tockholes near Darwen a massive amount of money was spent installing the full panoply of traffic calming devices and it's almost a three-mile linear museum of devices to slow down racing cars and motorbikes, but within weeks half the residents were campaigning to have them removed. What's worse is that the changes in surface and the joints allow water to penetrate and Tockholes being high in altitude, frost has done massive damage and after 15 or so years the road is a terrible mess; in fact now it's the unintended potholes that slow the traffic. The modern table top is installed much more carefully and sealed around the edges. It can be straddled so that you don't even feel it so I reckon the effect is more psychological than anything. In our street, LCC rebuilt an old stone bridge and reinstated the roadway with a one-way working system. That alone dissuaded drivers from cutting through and there was a 24% reduction in traffic. It's a simple question of where drivers think they are less likely to be delayed so that if you offer them a choice between the main A road with one set of lights and a straight B road, which bypasses the lights, they will of course take the B option. Now that we've got a 20 mph limit and the table tops I'm hoping we might get another 25% reduction and fewer souped-up Audis and BMWs racing through with their over-tuned engines popping on the overrun. It also requires residents to park strategically so that short-cutters are forced to drive over the humps and can't straddle them.

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
Cambridge News are now saying that the 'cause may not be revealed for weeks', but the article casts no more light than the headline.
I had a look at the site today. The tyre marks are still visible on the busway edges and the cycle path, and make it quite clear that the bus had entered the guided busway for a few yards before veering out of its tracks and crossing the oncoming busway track and cycle path at about 45 degrees from the original direction of travel. Now the raised edges of the busway are several inches high and it would take quite some force to make a bus climb over them and leave the tracks, as well as for the sideways motion to override the resistance of the horizontal guide wheels that hold it to the route. A normally-driven bus should just not be able to do that. My guess is that something went wrong as the bus entered the guided tracks, linked to the speed and/or angle of approach. As for the allegation of cyclists in the way, they would surely have had to be on the busway track itself, and therefore seriously off-course.
As others have said, on-board CCTV may help to explain the circumstances.

That's good to hear.
I wonder if any of them will be able to corroborate the driver's account?

On a bus in Southampton when someone puled out of a junction into the front nearside quarter of the bus.

The driver stopped and asked if everyone was alright, and did anyone see anything. Apart from myself not a single person had, so it may be a "keep your head down" mentality in the current case as well

Cambridge News are now saying that the 'cause may not be revealed for weeks', but the article casts no more light than the headline.
"A spokesman for Whippet Coaches said it would not be "appropriate" to comment further while the accident was being investigated."

... but it was totally appropriate to comment when you thought you could pin the blame on cyclists?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
After they put up the 10mph sign by the site of the accident, I could see what a bus going 10mph looks like.

If they were doing 15mph before, I'll be a monkey's bare-arsed uncle.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Agreed; at a place called Tockholes near Darwen a massive amount of money was spent installing the full panoply of traffic calming devices and it's almost a three-mile linear museum of devices to slow down racing cars and motorbikes, but within weeks half the residents were campaigning to have them removed. What's worse is that the changes in surface and the joints allow water to penetrate and Tockholes being high in altitude, frost has done massive damage and after 15 or so years the road is a terrible mess; in fact now it's the unintended potholes that slow the traffic. The modern table top is installed much more carefully and sealed around the edges. It can be straddled so that you don't even feel it so I reckon the effect is more psychological than anything. In our street, LCC rebuilt an old stone bridge and reinstated the roadway with a one-way working system. That alone dissuaded drivers from cutting through and there was a 24% reduction in traffic. It's a simple question of where drivers think they are less likely to be delayed so that if you offer them a choice between the main A road with one set of lights and a straight B road, which bypasses the lights, they will of course take the B option. Now that we've got a 20 mph limit and the table tops I'm hoping we might get another 25% reduction and fewer souped-up Audis and BMWs racing through with their over-tuned engines popping on the overrun. It also requires residents to park strategically so that short-cutters are forced to drive over the humps and can't straddle them.

There's certainly a bit more to making drivers slow than humps.

A few roads around Seven Dials in Covent Garden, central London, were levelled, as in the road surface and the two pavements were made all on one level.

Spaced wooden posts were used to mark the boundary, rather than continuous railings.

This had the effect of making drivers slow, even though the speed limit at the time remained 30mph.

I drove there before and after.

The after gave me the impression of driving in a pedestrian precinct, rather than on a clearly defined road.

No doubt I went more slowly, which also had the effect of making the cars behind me go at the same speed even if their drivers wanted to go faster.

winjim

Smash the cistern
"A spokesman for Whippet Coaches said it would not be "appropriate" to comment further while the accident was being investigated."

... but it was totally appropriate to comment when you thought you could pin the blame on cyclists?
I think the matter has probably been escalated and the person in charge of their social media accounts told to STFU.

Reactions: mjr

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Where exactly is that sign? I was looking for speed limit signs there yesterday lunchtime and couldn't see any.

There's a couple of temporary signs as you come off the end of the busway path at the station end, going towards the station from the direction of Addenbrookes They are on the cycle path near the wall the bus crashed into.

Top Bottom