Cyclists' deaths & statistics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Agree absolutely with DooDah re cycling in France. France isn't a nice place to be on the roads, with far more road deaths than the UK for similar population etc. Whenever I've mentioned this on here in the past I've always been shouted down. Brits like to denigrate their own country and always think it's better somewhere else - why this is, I don't know.
What we don't get in France, is this 'us and them' mentality and apparent hate for cyclists that seems to have appeared in the UK these last few years. We don't have daft terms like 'lycra-louts' here, that sort of thing, and cyclists of all kinds are simply accepted as part of the scenery, but it's more dangerous to be out riding. I'd even say it's downright scary sometimes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Raindog - you're odd. France is a great place to cycle and feels incredibly safe. The mortality rate is very slightly higher if you believe the stats in this thread.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm odd? Cheers.
Not seen the stats for a while, but road deaths in France used to be twice that of the UK. The figures for France are coming down slowly, but are still way, way higher. If that "feels" safer to you, then fair enough.

EDIT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate
road deaths per year per 100,000 inhabitants
France - 6.9
UK - 3.59
And per billion road km:
France - 7.7
UK - 5.7

That's not exactly a stastically significant difference. And both figures are extremely low.

Neither exactly "feels" safer than the other to cycle in. I prefer France because it's emptier and the roads (outside the towns) are much better. And because the weather and the wine is better and because if I'm in France I'm on holiday.

Linford

And per billion road km:
France - 7.7
UK - 5.7

That's not exactly a stastically significant difference. And both figures are extremely low.

Neither exactly "feels" safer than the other to cycle in. I prefer France because it's emptier and the roads (outside the towns) are much better. And because the weather and the wine is better and because if I'm in France I'm on holiday.

The traffic is also faster on the country roads in France because it is more spread out. Aren't there significantly more deaths recorded on country roads than in cities due to this ?

Perhaps it is those bloody holiday makers making the roads unsafe in France?:whistle:

Linford

I thought we were talking about cycle deaths, or was that just a TROLL?

Well we have to look at road safety as a whole. per billion KM, cycling is safer in the NL, but the roads are more dangerous overall over there which probably indicates lower standards when mixing it up with others.

aces_up1504

road deaths per year per 100,000 inhabitants
France - 6.9
UK - 3.59

And per billion road km:
France - 7.7
UK - 5.7

Your hiding a statistic behing a statistic,

The fact remains that nearly twice as many road deaths happen in France compared to the UK per 100,000 people.

All the road death per billion road Km shows, that French motorists probably do more miles than a UK motorist.

PK99

Legendary Member
I prefer not to think about it but you need to consider the 'exposure' of cyclists in Holland compared to the 'exposure' of cyclists in the UK, typically fatalities :sad: per mile/km travelled.

also need to differentiate between miles on the road and mile on segregated cycle lanes in Holland

albion

Guru
With regards to those real cycle stats linked, they shows that you have 2650% more chance of being injured on the roads in the US and 600% more chance in the UK compared to the Netherlands.

So we have 3 times the chance of 'cycling death' and 6 times the chance of injury here in the UK.
Considering that the overall quality of UK driving is actually very good methinks we must have an extremely dangerous minority of killers at the wheel of UK cars.

Top Bottom