Cyclists gets a finger wag !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the purpose is to prevent ALL right turns it has failed yes, however it may have prevented many right turns.
Can I interest you in buying an Elephant repellant for your home? ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
If the purpose is to prevent ALL right turns it has failed yes, however it may have prevented many right turns.
True. In fact I seem to remember it wasn't always there, it used to be just regular no right turn signs, so I wonder if they've monitored its effectiveness.

mjr

I think that the Council are overplaying the effect of the two cycle lanes in Cambridge
Probably. There's the obvious effect of Hospital-bound cyclists from further north/northwest using the new lanes to avoid the slow wiggle to get onto/off of the track by the guided busway, plus its railway bridge seems shorter than the Addenbrookes-busway one.

But from the experiences riding it a few times last month, I suspect it would still come out as a net increase cycling over a cordon running E-W across the midpoint of the new tracks, if they bothered to do one.

mjr

My understanding is that it it mainly urban.
In other words, you can't find a credible answer either?

my experience is that most minor roads in rural areas have no segregation.
And my experience is that most major roads do and they tend not to put major roads through urban areas as far as possible, which doesn't disagree with your experience (that I share FWIW) but still ends up with most segregation being in rural areas.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yeah, that's my view: it's surprisingly safe to ride on a trunk A road, but I always feel that I'm in the way (I know I have as much right as any other road user but I still feel like they're having to avoid me), so I feel pressured to always ride full-tilt and it's not as much fun as a good track. It's not even as much fun as some dodgy gravel tracks, but I'd rather not have to use those either. I'll gladly defend the right of others to ride on carriageways, but it doesn't make my heart sing like a good country road or cycle track and I can't see it inspiring many people to get cycling. Cycling should be fun and easy.
I'm the opposite unless I'm in company. On my own, on a country lane, my constant thought is what is going to come round that next bend and is he likely to be travelling at speed on my side of the road? On a wide A road I can usually see for quite a way (I'm thinking A2/A20 style roads here) plus there's the fact that an A road usually takes a fairly direct route.

If I'm in company, ride a way back so that someone else discovers what's coming round the next bend :smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Can I interest you in buying an Elephant repellant for your home? ;)

24b096f98f962569b48cc7ab07eca7f1.jpg

Reactions: mjr

gilespargiter

Veteran
Policeman on motorbike seen talking to cyclist - causes twenty two pages of comment on internet. WOW! (I did'nt take my coat off). . .

Reactions: mjr

Ajax Bay

Guru
my experience of riding on the roads . . [I can] only recall 1 occasion where the motorist was driving so as to cause me an issue.
You're a lucky, lucky person, or you don't cycle much on roads (or haven't yet 'cos you're young), or your threshold of 'driving which causes an issue' is higher than many, or all the drivers of vehicles that have come into proximity with you are cautious, careful, polite lookers.

Big Andy

Über Member
You're a lucky, lucky person, or you don't cycle much on roads (or haven't yet 'cos you're young), or your threshold of 'driving which causes an issue' is higher than many, or all the drivers of vehicles that have come into proximity with you are cautious, careful, polite lookers.
50 to 100 miles a week. However it reinforces my point that it isn't the wearing of hi-viz or helmets that gives cycling the perception of being dangerous, it either is dangerous or it's cyclists complaining about bad driving that gives the perception.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thinking more about it, perhaps forums like this are contributing to putting people off cycling. To read some posts it appears that every motorist is an idiot who isn't looking where he's going, if a non cyclist was reading some of the posts he wouldn't go near a road on his bike.

It's not my experience of riding on the roads though, can only recall 1 occasion where the motorist was driving so as to cause me an issue.
The only reason I am still alive is that the vast majority of motorists either see me because they are looking, or, when driving in a state of wakeful unconsciousness, their trajectory takes them past me.

The ones who aren't looking are the danger, they won't see me no matter what, and those who go too fast for the road and conditions, and three drivers in those two groups have had me off since 95

mjr

Or maybe he only rides with his eyes closed, so doesn't perceive any dangerous motorists?

I'm quite keen for people not to grumble about bad driving online beyond a "watch out for this if you see it" type warning. Just report the nobbers to the police.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Or maybe he only rides with his eyes closed, so doesn't perceive any dangerous motorists?

I'm quite keen for people not to grumble about bad driving online beyond a "watch out for this if you see it" type warning. Just report the nobbers to the police.
My definition of bad driving is too low for the police to engage with. Endangering my life is not enough. Ending it might be. But I'm not certain about that.

Top Bottom