Cyclists' hearts: Why elite cyclists die in their sleep (7 min video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
My resting HR is around 50-60, but even when 'moderately' exercising it shoots to 200+

I've been on a few bits of gym equipment that auto turned off because of it :wacko:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I recently had to attend hospital for a heart stress test. They put you on a treadmill and raise the speed and elevation. The thing is they do not let your heartrate go the max. They start to pull you back from aroung 144bpm even though you are quite comfortable. Why is that? Is taking you to the max so dangerous? Surely to stress the heart you would take it to the max?

Its possibly just not necessary or associated with some increase in risk, perhaps a bit of both. I had one yesterday- I'm currently under investigation for a genetic condition which affects the electrical function of the heart and which has a distinct ECG pattern, sometimes this pattern shows up a bit better under stress. Running tests at threshold is likely more appropriate when testing athletes.

I've had a whole bunch of testing done in the last couple of weeks including an MRI scan all because of a chance discovery that my ECG is a bit abnormal. All the plumbing and physical stuff looks good, haven't got a verdict yet.

bpsmith

Veteran
My resting HR is around 50-60, but even when 'moderately' exercising it shoots to 200+

I've been on a few bits of gym equipment that auto turned off because of it :wacko:
Pretty much the same with me. Often in the low 40’s while chilling on the sofa, but can average 185 for over an hour on the bike, with peaks up to 205. All the while still being able to hold a conversation.

Top Bottom