Cyclists in 23,000 accidents in 5 years in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Aviva survey, based on 23,000 cyclist crashes reported to police within the M25 over five years, included 80 fatalities — 67 of them within Greater London.

It comes as Boris Johnson was forced to admit, in a written answer to Liberal Democrats at City Hall, that Transport for London has only spent £29 million of its £82 million cycling budget this financial year.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...derspend-50m-road-safety-budget-10068389.html

subaqua

What’s the point
Not really. You're not comparing like with like.

That said, cycling is still one of the best and safest forms of transport.

difficult to compare like for like though. I don't tend to cycle inside my office ( Although I have rode my MTB down the 18 floors of stairs for a bet on a Saturday afternoon while doing an 8 hour load test , but baulked at riding up them ) agree that it is one of the safest ways to travel though.

According to ES, 1/3 of the accidents at night involved cyclists without lights. No idea how many of those had the lack of lights as a contributory factor though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Drivel. We already know, from far more robust studies, that lack of lights is only a factor in 1-2% of collisions.

Reactions: gaz

bianchi1

Guru
Drivel. We already know, from far more robust studies, that lack of lights is only a factor in 1-2% of collisions.

Is that all collisions, or just collisions that result in injury?

Is The 1-2% figure is calculated looking at collisions when it is dark or is it over all collisions, including ones in daylight where lights would not be a factor?

It's what the drivers claim to their insurance company. It's complete rubbish, if a driver claims the cyclist was unlit it goes down. The drunk driver who claimed the lejog rider she killed was unlit will be included. (He wasn't unlit).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
According to ES, 1/3 of the accidents at night involved cyclists without lights. No idea how many of those had the lack of lights as a contributory factor though.

This appears to be based on a sample of only 100 and the word of the driver involved (and insured by Aviva).

GC

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Is that all collisions, or just collisions that result in injury?

Is The 1-2% figure is calculated looking at collisions when it is dark or is it over all collisions, including ones in daylight where lights would not be a factor?

All collisions reported to the police, so all where injury occurred.

1-2% of all collisions. 77% of collisions happened in daylight, and the 23% in darkness are not enough to turn 2% into 33%. Even if all of the 2% was at night time it would only make it about 11.5%

Top Bottom