Cyclists, INDICATE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
So there I was, out for a cycle, approaching a busy roundabout intending to turn left. A car behind me, so I gave a left turn signal with my left arm/hand. Sadly, I also had to brake, and steer, at the same time. Only having one left hand, I made the conscious decision to prioritise, and used it to brake and steer. Much to the annoyance of the driver of a BMW (how ironic!) waiting to come onto the roundabout from the road I was turning into, who shouted at me out their open window that I should indicate. Every day that passes, my patience for idiots wears thinner......

A whole thread, replying to this, when approaching the hazard at a speed where you only needed one brake while signalling with the left hand, would probably have avoided the interface with Mr Angry.

In another one of a number of infinite alternative universes the person in the car might not have shouted even if you hadn't signalled, or shouted anyway even if you had. There are indeed unknown numbers of people who are just angry with everything whatever you do. While we strive to do everything correctly, sometimes other people are just impossible nobbers. Who knows what is going on in their lives to make them that way. Even if you do it right, (which we don't always manage to do) you will get abuse from some, or worse.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
I never indicate left when riding my bike. I want them all to stay exactly where they are until I'm well out of their way, particularly when a vehicle coming from the opposite direction is intending to turn right ahead of me into the same road.

Said pretty much the same when doing my bikeability instructor training. I wou.ld only indicate left as a courtesy to a driver wainting to come out if there was nothing coming the other way.

I never indicate left when riding my bike. I want them all to stay exactly where they are until I'm well out of their way, particularly when a vehicle coming from the opposite direction is intending to turn right ahead of me into the same road.

I sumpathise with your intention; but doesn't this just result in you having a slightly peeved driver right behind you in the side road??

Sometimes you can't win!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Oh, I didn't know BMW drivers knew what indicators where.

They know they are important for OTHERS, but, they are above such trivia ;)

a.twiddler

Veteran
Gather round, and hearken well, my fellow cyclists. Here is an illuminating tale. In a time long ago, it is said, back in a time when only the truly blessed could drive a BMW, that their indicators emitted a light that could only be seen by other wealthy people and BMW drivers. If you couldn't see it, it didn't mean they weren't indicating, it just meant that you were too poor to be able to see it, and not worthy of seeing that wondrous light which was reserved only for the elite.

Since then, of course, BMWs have become cars driven by the common people, and if you can't see the light, it just means they can't be arsked to indicate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Out on my ride today my mind turned to this thread. We rode 70 miles, much of it more urban than usual, and quite busy. What I realised was there wasn't a single occasion when it was impossible to indicate left or right and remain in full control of the bike. I don't recognise the concern about braking and steering as I'm already at a speed giving me control.

The OP indicated left as he approached the roundabout so either the BMW driver wasn't paying sufficient attention or the signal was made before the BMW had visibility of the cyclist. Either way at least the driver didn't try to pull out before being sure of the riders intention. The abuse can't be excused.

Thinking about an eight entry/exit roundabout I negotiate regularly there are points on the roundabout when it's essential to indicate one is continuing right or risk a wipe out. With well regulated speed indicating isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Probably time to post this

bmw indicator.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
I remember once for some reason factors had combined to keep both hands on the bars/brakes and the directional nod of the head was sufficient to alert a motorist where I was going.

Top Bottom