Cyclists, INDICATE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
So there I was, out for a cycle, approaching a busy roundabout intending to turn left. A car behind me, so I gave a left turn signal with my left arm/hand. Sadly, I also had to brake, and steer, at the same time. Only having one left hand, I made the conscious decision to prioritise, and used it to brake and steer. Much to the annoyance of the driver of a BMW (how ironic!) waiting to come onto the roundabout from the road I was turning into, who shouted at me out their open window that I should indicate. Every day that passes, my patience for idiots wears thinner......

brucers

Guru
One assumes you followed the line of the kerb but this was not enough of a clue as to your intention. Mind you, how often do we give early clear signs to do a right turn and drivers speed up to get past before we move out. There are drivers who have a blind spot when it comes to cyclists.

I always signal - when possible, which it normally is

There is a problem with signalling and slowing down at the same time - apart from anything else slowing down does destabilise the bike a bit so having 2 hands on the bars is a good idea

I generally find that I need to signal quite early so that people behind me know what I am doing - then signal quickly again sometimes to tell people on the other roads

But I sometimes feel that finding a cyclist that signals is a big surprise to a lot of drivers

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OP, yes, very droll. Let's pour some oil on the them Vs us fire?

We all know that in reality there are nobbers in all walks of life, be it in cars, on bicycles, pushing a trolley around the supermarket etc.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant, let's play on the stereotypes, crank up the mistrust and contribute to the entrenchment between road users that actually need to cooperate and get along (and on the whole do).

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
There is a problem with signalling and slowing down at the same time.
To some extent, but most bicycles have two independent brakes (I appreciate that they're not fully interchangeable). I'd argue that (with the exception of super-steep downhills), if you're approaching a place where you need to signal, at a speed whereat you need to be applying both brakes, you're not fully in control of the manoeuvre, and the fault is with you.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
By 'indicate' I presume we mean holding the appropriate arm outstretched with the palm vertical for maximum visibility, not the half-hearted slight flick of the arm and pointed finger that seems to be popular with the cool kids these days.

Much to the annoyance of the driver of a [road-user] waiting to come onto the roundabout from the road I was turning into, who shouted at me out their open window that I should indicate.
Funnily enough, this is a huge bugbear for me, cycling or driving. SOOOOO often when waiting at a roundabout, I see a driver peel off with their RIGHT indicator still flashing.

Ahhhhhh, people eh?!?

So there I was, out for a cycle, approaching a busy roundabout intending to turn left. A car behind me, so I gave a left turn signal with my left arm/hand. Sadly, I also had to brake, and steer, at the same time. Only having one left hand, I made the conscious decision to prioritise, and used it to brake and steer. Much to the annoyance of the driver of a BMW (how ironic!) waiting to come onto the roundabout from the road I was turning into, who shouted at me out their open window that I should indicate. Every day that passes, my patience for idiots wears thinner......

I've been in a similar situation; we only have one pair of hands after all.

I think the basic problem is that we're often trying to use infrastructure that isn't designed for us but for cars. We're then expected to behave like cars, which have a completely different set of controls.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru

Yeah, just a single intake of breath would have created enough time for you to make your manoeuvre safely, without the need for any drama. Some people really can't help themselves and I (probably a bit forlornly) can only wish, when they sit and reflect on events of the day, they come to the realisation the futility of shouting at anyone from a moving motor.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
To some extent, but most bicycles have two independent brakes (I appreciate that they're not fully interchangeable). I'd argue that (with the exception of super-steep downhills), if you're approaching a place where you need to signal, at a speed whereat you need to be applying both brakes, you're not fully in control of the manoeuvre, and the fault is with you.

Complete cobblers. To put it politely.

It's essential in many situations eg on a roundabout, to be ready for an emergency stop in case a farkwit pulls out on you.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Funnily enough, this is a huge bugbear for me, cycling or driving. SOOOOO often when waiting at a roundabout, I see a driver peel off with their RIGHT indicator still flashing.

Ahhhhhh, people eh?!?

No indicator at all regardless of exit seems an increasingly popular option. Also applies when exiting a major road to the left.

Top Bottom