Cyclists, INDICATE!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Complete cobblers. To put it politely.

It's essential in many situations eg on a roundabout, to be ready for an emergency stop in case a farkwit pulls out on you.
You're confusing 'braking' with 'being ready to brake'. If you need to be braking with both hands while you're going around a roundabout, you went in at inappropriate speed. It is perfectly possible to give appropriate hand signals, while all the time being ready to virtually instantaneously apply both hands to the brakes in case of an emergency.

If you negotiate every roundabout without signalling, with both hands on the bars just because you want to be
ready for an emergency stop in case a farkwit pulls out on you
then I wouldn't be surprised if you left a trail of devastation, and plenty of irate road-users, in your wake.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
You're confusing 'braking' with 'being ready to brake'. If you need to be braking with both hands while you're going around a roundabout, you went in at inappropriate speed. It is perfectly possible to give appropriate hand signals, while all the time being ready to virtually instantaneously apply both hands to the brakes in case of an emergency.

If you negotiate every roundabout without signalling, with both hands on the bars just because you want to be

then I wouldn't be surprised if you left a trail of devastation, and plenty of irate road-users, in your wake.

Perhaps your tag line of "usually riding on Zwift" explains your ideal world experience of negotiating roundabouts.

Gwylan

Veteran
Is there an agreed indication for

"that was too close, mate",
"hello you nearly missed me, over here with the dayglo jacket and flashing lights",
"I'm in the middle of the lane with my right hand out. Means I'm going to turn right"
"the speed limit is 20mph around here"

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I had a great one under similar circumstances recently. Approaching a mini-roundabout in a local village, I'm going left and have signalled accordingly to the traffic behind me by sticking out my left arm for 5-10 seconds. Getting closer as I descend towards the roundabout I want both hands on the bars to stabilise the bike under braking.

There's a guy waiting to my left, who can go if he knows that I'm turning left.. but I can't signal as such as I'm clinging to the bars. I get eye contact and cock my head to the left to state my intentions. He understands perfectly, smiles, nods, waves in appreciation / acknowledgement and pulls out knowing that he no longer has to give way to me.

Wouldn't it be nice if communication on the roads was always as straightforward and mutually beneficial as this..?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
I had a great one under similar circumstances recently. Approaching a mini-roundabout in a local village, I'm going left and have signalled accordingly to the traffic behind me by sticking out my left arm for 5-10 seconds. Getting closer as I descend towards the roundabout I want both hands on the bars to stabilise the bike under braking.

There's a guy waiting to my left, who can go if he knows that I'm turning left.. but I can't signal as such as I'm clinging to the bars. I get eye contact and cock my head to the left to state my intentions. He understands perfectly, smiles, nods, waves in appreciation / acknowlegement and pulls out knowing that he no longer has to give way to me.

Wouldn't it be nice if communication on the roads was always as straightforward and mutually beneficial as this..?

Making eye contact can be a lifesaver!
Getting drivers to expect or respect cyclist hand signals can also be a challenge.

Slick

Guru
I know its not quite the same, but I flew down to London this morning and parked in a secure area they then bus you to the airport from. We came to the junction with the driver chatting to me the whole way as I was her only passenger. She paused for a second to let a car go by then pulled out. Just out her side window I could just make out the shadowy figure of a cyclist, dressed head to foot in workman's orange trousers and top but no lights on his bike and my driver saw him yet. The cyclist stopped, as he obviously got a fright, I got a fright as well when I realised how close we came to hitting this guy, but here was the bus driver, happily chatting away about not very much. Scary how easy it could be.

Alex321

Veteran
To some extent, but most bicycles have two independent brakes (I appreciate that they're not fully interchangeable). I'd argue that (with the exception of super-steep downhills), if you're approaching a place where you need to signal, at a speed whereat you need to be applying both brakes, you're not fully in control of the manoeuvre, and the fault is with you.

They are absolutely not interchangeable, never mind not "fully" interchangeable.

You can usually do moist if not all of your slowing down with just the front brake, but you really can't with just the rear brake unless you start braking a LOT earlier.

So indicating left, you can usually do reasonably easily, but indicating right is much harder.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Making eye contact can be a lifesaver!
Getting drivers to expect or respect cyclist hand signals can also be a challenge.

Yep tell me about it, I was on the Trike and approaching home (quiet residential street) and because there was a car behind me I indicated a right turn to get to my gate, the car driver promptly tried to overtake before screeching to a halt. Luckily I was quite aware and managed to turn back to the left avoiding contact but only just, I asked her what she was doing (in slightly more forcefull language being a bit shaken up) her reply "You waved me past"

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Yep tell me about it, I was on the Trike and approaching home (quiet residential street) and because there was a car behind me I indicated a right turn to get to my gate, the car driver promptly tried to overtake before screeching to a halt. Luckily I was quite aware and managed to turn back to the left avoiding contact but only just, I asked her what she was doing (in slightly more forcefull language being a bit shaken up) her reply "You waved me past"

And yet it's usually cyclists who should "read the Highway Code". The mind boggles.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
yes I always try to indicate , but sometimes it is in brief bursts because of the state of the roads round here ! , pot hole dodging sometimes comes first . I would say a lot of the time positioning , catching drivers eye and signalling all add up to getting the job done safely
it hurts getting knocked off so just do the best to prevent it and good luck

Top Bottom