Cyclists make mistakes too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
This is a non-incident really, I just feel the need to get things off my chest.

Idiot cyclist - me.
Lesson learned - if you pull into a bus stop to let a truck through, you should wait until whatever is following the truck is past before you pull out again.
If there hadn't been another cyclist, it might have been OK.
If there hadn't been a car, it might have been OK.
If there hadn't been a pinch point, it might have been OK.

I don't have a helmet cam, and I just can't remember where the car was when I came back onto the road. But the driver wouldn't have known I was there because I had been hidden by the truck. You could probably criticise her driving, but if I'd waited until car and cyclist had passed there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm led to think that I did misjudge things by the comment from the other cyclist as he passed: "You'll get yourself killed..."

Oops. :sad:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If you want a 'reason', try this.

You couldn't see/hear the other vehicle because the truck was blocking both your sight-line and hearing ^_^
Your 'good deed' deserved much more than a near-death experience :whistle:

Glad you are OK :thumbsup: - and have learned a lesson ! :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No big deal Fimm. We all make mistakes, lapses in concentration, etc. What's important is that you understand what you did wrong and are less likely to do it again.

jugglingphil

I agree with Moodyman
This morning on my commute in, followed a woman moving over where possible (mid-junction in this case) to let cars pass but then moved back into flow of traffic without looking. I didn't give the same advice as the OP's new cycling guardian angel, and am starting to wish I had.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Thank you for the words of comfort. To be honest my inital reaction was that the woman had been driving too fast, and it was the other cyclist's comment that made me rethink... I guess the woman driver now thinks that all cyclists are lycra clad idiots who jump red lights without bike lights whilst not wearing a helmet, listening to music and talking on a mobile phone...

(I was wearing a suit and a long heavy coat (and a helmet), there are no traffic lights within half a mile of the spot, I was distracted by neither phone nor music and it was broad daylight)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This is a non-incident really, I just feel the need to get things off my chest.

Fimm, apologies in advance if this sounds patronising.

But... I think your attitude is commendable. Its very easy (and human) for us to want to seek blame from others but I truly believe we learn more if we are prepared to see every point of view.

Personally I suspect the greatest lesson is to be less eager to "get out the way" . Some road users do not always appreciate the effort and will simply barge past the second you allow any quarter. Others will not think of the traffic behind or around them and the impact this could have on you (I get this feeling a lot when people invite you out of a junction without checking to see if a biker or motorbiker is filtering by their left/right, then get frustrated if you pause to check.)

Glad you came out of the experience better off.

Top Bottom