Cyclists - Please stop at red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
General rules I follow are as below, I have had more near misses with pedestrians jay walking slow / stationary through traffic whilst texting/phoning and stepping in front of me blindly as you whiz up to traffic lights.

Hard red lights - stop ( busy crossroads, busy roundabouts, traffic filtering lanes etc )
Soft red lights - proceed with caution ( resedential pedestrian crossing, quiet left turns etc )

Rules are followed by fools, but are used by wise men as guidlines!

try that defence in court.

Noodley

[QUOTE 1846305, member: 45"]...what am I?[/quote]

a nobber.

*I would also like to nominate our exchange as the most well balanced of this thread.

dodgy

I went on a bike ride this morning, was in the saddle by 05:45. Didn't see my first car until about 06:30. I went through probably 3 or 4 red lights in that time, perhaps more.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
When I, subjectively, think it is safe to do so may I drive my chariot on the right? Or on the pavement, Or backwards all the time? May I ignore the blandishments of the nightwatchmen with impunity?

RLJ'ing across a junction is simply uncivilised. Justified only when the signals are defective. Alternatively let's just toss the HC out the window and allow each to use their subjective judgement as to what to do. What could go wrong?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
... allow each to use their subjective judgement as to what to do. What could go wrong?
You don't see a difference between an uncontrolled junction, where everyone knows they have to cooperate, and a controlled junction where one person decides they are a special case?
Of course. But you don't see a difference between "allow each to use their subjective judgement", and "don't allow each to use their subjective judgement, but have some people doing that anyway"?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
But you don't see a difference between "allow each to use their subjective judgement", and "don't allow each to use their subjective judgement, but have some people doing that anyway"?
Eh? It's precisely because those are different that RLJing is dangerous.

subaqua

What’s the point
without going into detailed traffic management, there are lots of junctions that have a "natural flow" but are signal controlled due to proximity to other junctions that don't have a natural flow and would clog without lights.

GC has it bang on the money again though.

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

Well, I started this thread last Thursday, mainly because I was a bit miffed at the cyclists I'd seen that day maneuvering their way through red lights across a dual carriageway (and not doing it for any safety reason argued here. No vehicles signalling left, no lorries, vacant ASL. Just a fast dual carriage way across their path).

I didn't think it would cause so much discussion not to mention the banter. I did enjoy the sarcastic and humorous remarks.

I'm glad I did it though because I've learned a lot of important things that hopefully may keep me safe in the future. Apologies if my education is at the expense of those who have been bored or wound up by this thread.

I'll continue to stop at red lights, whether on my bike or in my car and hope others do the same.

Here's an interesting thought: May be all cyclists should take a cycling proficiency course and as part of the driving test all motorist should take one as well.

Top Bottom