Cyclists - Please stop at red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
... They deserve eveything they get for the contempt they show for road safety, other road users and pedestrians. As group cyclists need to get their house in order and start confronting these morons. ...

Er, no. I am not responsible for the actions of other cyclists, good or bad. I don't expect drivers to assume collective responsibility for the ones that driver dangerously.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Quite, preventative measures are good. But, I do not blame the HGV drivers. I don't think that anyone is. As the HGV driver told me when I stepped up into his cab, they have a multitude of mirrors to look into and a very big blind spot. Rebecca (the girl that died on the corner of St John Street and Old Street) was in that blind spot. The HGV didn't see her. That wasn't his fault. It wasn't her fault too as she was in the ASL, she was doing what she was supposed to be doing. Can we do something about this? Yes, we bloody well can.

Hang on. She was in the ASL, and the HGV was behind her, but ran her down? How was it not the driver's fault?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have to say Exhibition Road seems to be working quite well from my last experience of it (as a pedestrian) and the absence of traffic lights at the junction with Prince Consort Rd not a problem.
I can only agree. A lot of CGBeebies can't stand Exhibition Road, but the peds have got in to the habit of fronting us and the taxicabs out - which is all to the good.

My private theory, untested by any method more scientific than longstanding observation, is that RLJ-ing is quite local. Only a small minority RLG on CS7. The great majority RLJ at Essex Road/Upper Street. How one effects a change of culture I've no idea.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Are they in general or is it just a small vocal minority that seem to have nothing better to do than comment to that effect in the letters pages and in web comments? I was on a CTC ride yesterday and rather than wait behind while the group went through a series of central islands, a driver shot down the other side of the islands to get past. Did I think B****y Drivers or did I think Numpty Driver? All road users have subsets of them that break the law regularly and some do incredibly stupid things but I don't tar the whole group with the actions of the few and I doubt most drivers actually tar cyclists in that way - just the drivers with high blood pressure.
My anecdata would suggest it's a pretty general irritation amongst other users not just confined to keyboard warriors.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
How can people be bothered? Really... This is how people choose to spend a life? In front of a computer trying to force their views on someone else.(*) Anyone that’s trying to do so needs to go grab a breath of fresh air and take a slow count to ten. Even if you are chained to a desk, there’s a big old internet out there hiding lots of cool things that you don’t know about, all in plain sight.

Believe what you like. Keep it to yourself, none of this squabbling is furthering yourself as a human being. Stop wrapping up opinions as absolute answers.

I don’t mean to sound preacherish. I’m just a normal person.
This is what I believe. I don’t expect anyone else to believe me as you don’t live in my head. It can resonate with you or fall flat. It’s not that I don’t care; I just have enough about me to respect others, and then try to do my own thing to make sure I stay happy and don’t get prematurely dead.
- Going up the inside of big heavy vehicles is silly. It could save me 5 minutes (Very generous guess) over an hour’s journey, but could cost me my life. That’s how I see it. (I also believe that all cyclists should sit in an HGV sometimes. It’s an eye opener)

- Red Lights should be treated as people.
The first time you meet them, treat them with respect. A handshake, then find out what they’re about by staying quiet and paying attention.
If you ever find a group of them, it’s probably best to listen to all of them until you know where the conversation is headed before you do something inappropriate.
You may befriend a couple, and like all friends, sometimes they’ll tell you a story that you’ve already heard so just smile and wave and go about your business.
You may also find some that are so out of step with reality, maybe they’re crazy, maybe they are a throwback to different times and just don’t fit in anymore. You can ignore these without causing any harm whatsoever.

My final, unendorsed view, is that most drivers really don’t care about bikes ignoring those last two types. They really don’t. Ask em if you don’t believe me. What they generally don’t like is cyclists filtering through tiny spaces between wing mirrors to get to the ASL, not what they do when they get there. I know it makes them seem silly, but they like their cars as much as we love our bikes. So when you do this, if it’s tight, turn, put your hand up and give a friendly nod. Let em know you know what you’re doing. It sounds a bit ‘right on’, but they like it. Lots. In fact, smile and signal thanks all the time. It will make you feel better, and take the sting out of any potential situation. This is even more important when you get it wrong. If you mess up, fess up. A big exaggerated ‘S-O-R-R-Y’ and a wave and all is right with the world again.

That’s all I’ve got. I know that by replying I kind of make it sound like I think my words have more value, but they really don’t.
Play nice people

* = This is only a comment on debates that descend into name calling. This forum is wholeheartedly excellent as a source of advice on 99% of issues. Such as whether or not to wear a helmet and such. (Kidding)

1847768 said:
Which I recognize, hence the word confession.

Yes, I know it's a confession but I still don't know why you felt moved to shout at them and break the law by crossing a red light by their legally crossing the road.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Pedestrian crossing points and the associated cages that are so often built to herd people towards them are, frankly, barbaric. A failure of civilisation. So not urbane.

bumpajumpa

Über Member
RLJing seems like a risky business to me. I try to avoid red light districts.
On my commute I stop at red lights, even the one that needs a car to trip it because it's on a sensor and a side road crossing a main road. In this case the motorist is inadvertently helping out a cyclist.

PK99

Legendary Member
Is that even when there is a red light against you? There is of course nothing illegal about cyclists using pelican crossings and even on zebra crossings its not illegal. Its just that they don't have the same legal priority over vehicles on the road that pedestrians do.

if there is a cycle path shared or other wise it would be legal, if there is not they would be riding illegally on the pavement either side of the crossing

I've not found a sensor on my commute in to Manc that doesn't trip on my weight. As for RLJ'ing, A56, A6 or A34 you'd have to be a loon to jump some of the lights I've seen people do, especially when they jump opposing filters.

Some new information from the CTC occasioned by the recent IAM press release:

Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping only 4% involve cyclists, whereas 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1849854, member: 45"]Is 4% acceptable then? Is it more acceptable because someone else is worserer, or is that just juvenile bickering?

What percentage of pedestrians are made to feel at risk by RLJing cyclists?

.[/quote]

In the centre of Wimbledon, as a pedestrian, I cannot ever remember having to avoid a car jumping a red light after the traffic has stopped and i have a green man - i have frequently had to avoid cyclists who choose to ignore their red light and passing cars stopped at the light. I've never been injured as the relative speeds make it easy to avoid a collision, but I do always have to check for cyclists and should not have to.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I keep seeing cyclist jumping red lights in my area. I dont normally see a lot of them on my travels, but recently I have seen one jump a red light and going the wrong way on a one way system, and another jump the lights whilst I was waiting for the bus.
It is terrible really as it is giving everyone else (especially me who goes out the most) a bad name.

Top Bottom