Cyclists - Please stop at red lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 1846683, member: 45"]...because one of the reasons that the HC and rules of the road are there is so that we all know at least how we should expect others to behave on the road, [/quote]
This is perfectly true, but has very little to do with how dangerous rlj is or isn't. Many activities are rude but safe, many others are civilized but dangerous

Dan B

Disengaged member
You don't see a difference between an uncontrolled junction, where everyone knows they have to cooperate, and a controlled junction where one person decides they are a special case?
In terms of not hitting people, given the almost certain presence of pedestrians who are not bound by the controls and scofflaw cyclists who believe they are not bound by the controls, I find it doesn't really make much difference in practice

Here's an interesting thought: May be all cyclists should take a cycling proficiency course and as part of the driving test all motorist should take one as well.

London taxi drivers spend months on mopeds gaining the knowledge but once they are in a cab, they show no mercy to mopeds or cyclists. :rolleyes:

subaqua

What’s the point
London taxi drivers spend months on mopeds gaining the knowledge but once they are in a cab, they most show no mercy to mopeds or cyclists. :rolleyes:

FTFY otherwise its the same as saying that as a fair few people with HIV are gay all gay people have HIV which is patently untrue. Not even all addison lee drivers are complete twunts , which does seem hard to beleive sometimes. Oh and yes i did see the smiley

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1533248/Is-this-the-end-of-the-road-for-traffic-lights.html
splendid question posed by the 2006 telegrahph article headline. so it hasn't happened yet. Any evidence that is it going to?

splendid film. Do explain how it would work if we took all the traffic lights out of our cities. (with our liability and traffic laws, our law enforcement, our road user behaviour, etc., etc.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 1847258, member: 45"]Unsurety brings added risk, but the social nature of RLJing is another consideration the issue.[/quote]
This is my stand on RLJ.
Whilst I don't believe it's dangerous, it is hugely antisocial with the effect that cyclists in general get pilloried out of all proportion low due to the actions of a few.
Whilst evidence of the safeness or dangers of RLJ would be usefull, evidence is often worthless in any kind of bigger debate with other road users and the wider public anyhow.

400bhp

Guru
I agree, but If there's no-one around is it OK to do it?

I couldn't help myself this morning.

{edit] Let me just caveat this, I wasn't wearing hi-vis therefore if there was someone around that I hadn't seen they couldn't see me. :whistle:

This is my stand on RLJ.
Whilst I don't believe it's dangerous, it is hugely antisocial with the effect that cyclists in general get pilloried out of all proportion low due to the actions of a few.

Are they in general or is it just a small vocal minority that seem to have nothing better to do than comment to that effect in the letters pages and in web comments? I was on a CTC ride yesterday and rather than wait behind while the group went through a series of central islands, a driver shot down the other side of the islands to get past. Did I think B****y Drivers or did I think Numpty Driver? All road users have subsets of them that break the law regularly and some do incredibly stupid things but I don't tar the whole group with the actions of the few and I doubt most drivers actually tar cyclists in that way - just the drivers with high blood pressure.

1847395 said:
I have to confess that I have a real problem with pelican crossings when used by pavement cyclists. I find it very hard to bring myself to stop for them.

Is that even when there is a red light against you? There is of course nothing illegal about cyclists using pelican crossings and even on zebra crossings its not illegal. Its just that they don't have the same legal priority over vehicles on the road that pedestrians do.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
splendid film. Do explain how it would work if we took all the traffic lights out of our cities. (with our liability and traffic laws, our law enforcement, our road user behaviour, etc., etc.
Treat people like children and they will learn to behave like children, so you have to treat them like children, and so on. It is indeed a fine pickle we have got ourselves into in this country with our increasingly asocial way of life, and the laws and practices that reflect and reinforce that way of life. But we really ought to try to break the vicious circle somehow.

1847413 said:
Yes I'm afraid so, hence confession. I have on occasion told a pavement cyclist to **** off and wait in such circumstance.

On what basis. Its perfectly legal for them to cross the road at a crossing when you are stopped at a red light and its illegal for you to drive on.

Treat people like children and they will learn to behave like children, so you have to treat them like children, and so on. It is indeed a fine pickle we have got ourselves into in this country with our increasingly asocial way of life, and the laws and practices that reflect and reinforce that way of life. But we really ought to try to break the vicious circle somehow.

I have to say Exhibition Road seems to be working quite well from my last experience of it (as a pedestrian) and the absence of traffic lights at the junction with Prince Consort Rd not a problem.

Top Bottom