Cyclists road deaths rising

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame there was no indication as to whether the 10% rise in deaths was as a result of an increase in riders or miles cycled, without this data it is hard to determined whether the danger of cycling has increased. Still v sad though :sad:

Chris Norton

The report I read certainly hinted at the increase in cyclists especially in London has contributed to the increase. I was surprised actually how low the number is. I thought there would be more.

I am and have always been pretty sanguine about road-death statistics.

My children all cycle with a fair amount of verve and gusto on pretty fast, narrow, twisty roads. They have done since they were little. All have cycled in London, but do so less frequently because of circumstances.

Nonetheless, I find that the current stats (or any I've ever seen) barely make me blink.

Should one of my loved ones become a statistic, I would feel probably differently. Harold Wilson (I think) once said on the matter of unemployment statistics some words I paraphrase as "10% unemployment may not seem much, but when you are the one without a job, it is 100%".

I think I feel likewise about road-death statistics. They would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY worse to make me consider discouraging my offspring from riding on the road.

Every road death is regrettable, most are tragic, but I see the current figures as pretty neutral.

It was the death of a friend of mine that brought about the creation of ROADPEACE. He was on a motorcycle, the remains of which I collected in my van from the police pound. It was a grim and tragic business - of which there have been more since - but not for one moment did I consider packing up motorcycling or pedal cycling.

I like to look on the bright side.... about some things.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The opposite side of the coin is: how many previously unfit people have become fit and healthy as a result of taking up cycling and how much will that save the NHS in the long run?

I for one was unfit and had a decent-sized spare tyre when I came back from my 100% sedentary life in France to start a new life in NW England in 1988, I took up mountain biking and got reasonably fit then 4 years ago took up road cycling and got extremely fit. I am fairly confident that if I hadn't taken up cycling 25 years ago I'd have had my first heart attack by now.

Top Bottom