Cyclists shouldn't be in the middle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Maybe you should say something like it's a government recommendation that cyclists take primary, which it is really considering how the book is published.

Asking them if they've read cyclecraft is too alien to them I think.

Just because something is published by HMSO doesn't mean it is government policy. I think it always best to stick to facts because when people find out that the truth that is presented isn't quite the truth then you have completely lost the whole argument as everything you say is dismissed.

As to the incident highlighted can only agree with what the consensus seems to be that it is an appalling example of bad overtaking by a frustrated driver who's frustration is bourne out simply from his belief that he has more entitlement to ride the road than you have to cycle it. Whether you were in primary position or not is of no consequence to him - it was merely the excuse he was looking for to justify his actions. Your mere presence on the road is only tolerated so long as you don't impede as he sees it.

Report him and don't be at all bothered about the consequences. He had little regard for your life.

HLaB said:
What a prat.
Maybe the ctc or someone should have an advertising campaign to make people aware what the primary position is.

I know roughly what it is.:ohmy:

Mr Celine

Discordian
He hasn't read cyclecraft and no doubt sees no reason why he should.
Perhaps he should read the highway code instead.

You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

My bold.

You were the moving vehicle nearest the crossing and he overtook you on the zig-zags.

Pete

magnatom said:
Pete, I stay in primary for three reasons here. Firstly, there is a junction on the left so I want to to remain visible here. Also I am travelling at a reasonable speed on the approach to a roundabout at which I always catch them up at anyway. Also if I pull in I have to try and negotiate back out, and the traffic flow here can be fairly heavy, so it wouldn't be easy.

If I remain in primary here I generally hold drivers up by about 10 seconds max. What's the rush?
Well, one can't tell everything from watching the video, so I won't argue the point: just stated what I do in a similar situation. Speed has a lot to do with it - I try to keep up a fair old lick when I'm holding primary - as a courtesy to following drivers. But I can't keep that up for long - not with my level of fitness, not at my age. Certainly not if I get to a hill. So going to secondary is my way of saying I'm easing off.... :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mr Celine said:
He hasn't read cyclecraft and no doubt sees no reason why he should.
Perhaps he should read the highway code instead.

My bold.

You were the moving vehicle nearest the crossing and he overtook you on the zig-zags.

Well spotted. I hadn't noticed that myself. I was too busy trying to avoid being splatted!:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Rhythm Thief said:
He's obviously a tool. It always amuses me how these people can't wait a few seconds behind you but are never in too much of a hurry to spend a couple of minutes engaged in heated, er, debate with you when you point out the error of their ways.
I've commented on your video Mag, in your favour I might add.:thumbsup:

Actually I'm shocked. It's all positive at the moment. :smile: The usual suspects will be along shortly to mention road tax, RLJing, pavement cycling etc :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
if you'd like some criticism (constructive) ...

I thought perhaps that your position was primary enough to make passing tricky and tight but secondary enough to still let it happen

kinda a worse of both worlds

will that do

just being DA and picky, natch

gazzaputt

"Have you read Cyclecraft?"

I nearly wet myself with laughter!! 20 stone cabbie of course he has.

For me yes he passed to close but you preaching to him isn't going to get you anywhere.

Maybe a quick 'mate a bit close to me back there' and leave it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tynan said:
if you'd like some criticism (constructive) ...

I thought perhaps that your position was primary enough to make passing tricky and tight but secondary enough to still let it happen

kinda a worse of both worlds

will that do

just being DA and picky, natch

You are probably correct here. I tend to follow the smooth road (i.e. where the road works have been as the road is a little bumpy (can throw you of course a little) elsewhere. That's how I knew where my wheel was as that is where I aim to cycle.

I would have thought it was far enough out to deter stupid overtakes though, especially when there were no cars coming the other way and he could have given me bags of room.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gazzaputt said:
"Have you read Cyclecraft?"

I nearly wet myself with laughter!! 20 stone cabbie of course he has.

For me yes he passed to close but you preaching to him isn't going to get you anywhere.

Maybe a quick 'mate a bit close to me back there' and leave it.

Have a listen to the video, thats what I said to begin with, but then he started telling me I wasn't supposed to be in the 'middle of the road' as he put it. I was just trying to explain that a book sold by the government stationary office and recommended by ROSPA suggested I should be. He never let me get that far.

Anyway, don't overweight people cycle?:smile:

Cab

The problem with 'cylecraft' is that it doesn't sound like you want to read it or know it if you're a motorist. We need a document specifically aimed at motorists, something to remind them about... Oh, I know, the highway code...

Tynan

Veteran
'Cyclists are advised to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to ensure they are in the right place at the right time. If they ride in the middle of the road it is probably not to obstruct your path, but to ensure that they are seen by you and by other motorists. Cyclists often ride at some distance from the kerb to avoid drains and potholes and to discourage motorists from squeezing them on narrow roads. It is not in their interest to delay motorists deliberately. Remember too that their ability to signal is limited compared to ours, so try to anticipate what they might do from the position they have taken on the road. Please be patient.'

Top Bottom