Cyclists shouldn't be in the middle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Aren't you forgetting that at the top of that fact sheet is the heading "Institute of Advanced Motorists"? There's no way that driver was "advanced" anyway!!!

Tynan said:
'Cyclists are advised to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to ensure they are in the right place at the right time. If they ride in the middle of the road it is probably not to obstruct your path, but to ensure that they are seen by you and by other motorists. Cyclists often ride at some distance from the kerb to avoid drains and potholes and to discourage motorists from squeezing them on narrow roads. It is not in their interest to delay motorists deliberately. Remember too that their ability to signal is limited compared to ours, so try to anticipate what they might do from the position they have taken on the road. Please be patient.'

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Useful link to the IAM fact sheet, that - thanks for the reminder.

Seems to me that drivers (round here at least) either understand what you're doing in primary and behave accordingly, or they get frustrated. The second type may then "punish" you for your obstreperousness (hey, there's a good word!) by doing what your taxi driver did.

There's probably no reasoning with the second type - it's almost a waste of time to try.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mr Celine said:
He hasn't read cyclecraft and no doubt sees no reason why he should.
Perhaps he should read the highway code instead.

Quote:

You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. You MUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.

My bold.

You were the moving vehicle nearest the crossing and he overtook you on the zig-zags.

Add in

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167). If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

* 162-169: Overtaking

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

That is assuming that he has heard of the Highway Code, Rule 213 gives a clear justification for cycling in the primary position. It is just that most drivers don't think that it applies to them after they have passed their test.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
That somebody would have been me :huh:.

Here it is: http://www.iam.org.uk/pressroom/factsheets.htm

Look at fact sheet 17/001. It's not perfect but its a good start. I have handed this out to drivers before. I think I will print another one just now for my hi-viz pocket :wacko:

Thanks for that useful link, a copy of Fact Sheet 17/001 is idea for handing out to drivers who think they know it all.

I like the wording of the final paragraph

Finally, every motorist has seen some irresponsible cyclists use the pavement, road and zebra crossings, seemingly at random. This is not only dangerous for pedestrians but unlawful, and the police can and do issue penalty notices for such offences. The police take a serious view of such careless or dangerous cycling, particularly when it puts other road users at risk. Responsible motorists give such irresponsible cyclists a wide berth.

Tynan said:
Remember too that their ability to signal is limited compared to ours, so try to anticipate what they might do from the position they have taken on the road. Please be patient.'

Well it's nice to see that recognised in a publication aimed at motorists. The number of times (well, once actually) I've had to explain to someone why I'm not signalling to exit a roundabout.

Tynan

Veteran
I'd always signal leaving a roundabout, it's a well dicey situation

granted I'd be on flat handlebars, early one is alway possible surely?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What about asking him something like this in a friendly, but slightly shocked voice:

"Mate, please could you give me more room when overtaking. I was nearly knocked off there".

Then, in response to his you shouldn't be in the middle comment:

"I know I was well out mate, but what would have happened to me if some idiot opened a door on one of those parked cars back there?"

Castigating him and mentioning cyclecraft, IMO, would never ever make him think about what he'd did in terms of the consequences to you or to him.

BM - the number of times I have tried the "That was way too close back there, you nearly knocked me off"

only to have

"Next time you'd better watch out coz I'll zarking knock you off properly" or some other intelligent aside come back.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
What about asking him something like this in a friendly, but slightly shocked voice:

"Mate, please could you give me more room when overtaking. I was nearly knocked off there".

Then, in response to his you shouldn't be in the middle comment:

"I know I was well out mate, but what would have happened to me if some idiot opened a door on one of those parked cars back there?"

Castigating him and mentioning cyclecraft, IMO, would never ever make him think about what he'd did in terms of the consequences to you or to him.

I did start by just saying he was way too close, but he started saying I shouldn't be in the middle. I knew his attention span was going to be short, so I thought explaining that a ROSPA approved book suggested I should be there would have been quicker than explaining why I should have been there. He cyt me off before I could get to that bit!

At that particular point it wasn't car doors that were my concern but the junction to the left. I have seen cars pull out from there without looking properly.

It's always easy to think of the correct thing to say afterwards!;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
BM - the number of times I have tried the "That was way too close back there, you nearly knocked me off"

only to have

"Next time you'd better watch out coz I'll zarking knock you off properly" or some other intelligent aside come back.

In some ways that would be the perfect reply. I would have it on camera!!;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

only to have

Oh yes, I wasn't claiming to have a high rate of success by any means, but this sort of approach seems to yield a much higher success rate.

When I get the above sort of response I just point the video camera at them. There's an instant shut-up and dramatic behaviour improvement.

Sometimes it does work fine - I remember being shaved by a guy in a Porsche Carrera GT3 going up the Blackfriars sliproad. At the lights at the top I said calmly - "That was dangerous. You overtook me too close back there." to which he replied
Mr Porsche: "Oh sorry, I didn't realise that was too close."
JRG: "Its ok, just remember that you need to give cyclists a good couple of meters room. If I was a newbie, you could have made me crash back then."
Mr Porsche: "I am sorry, I'll think about that."

Result in my book.

Some people genuinely don't have a clue, and taking a firm but reasonable line with them can change their behaviour as they are not inherently grotty snots.

I'm only miffed that you didn't credit my strapline in the vid :smile:xx(

He obviously looked like he sat very comfortably inside his own little world. You can't tell from his reaction whether he'll cut up another cyclist or give them some consideration next time. My money's on the former. Perhaps if you'd gone to the drivers side and jabbed him hard in the nose that might have worked better.

You were far too calm, that's my only criticism ;)

LOGAN 5

Uncle Phil said:
Useful link to the IAM fact sheet, that - thanks for the reminder.

Seems to me that drivers (round here at least) either understand what you're doing in primary and behave accordingly, or they get frustrated. The second type may then "punish" you for your obstreperousness (hey, there's a good word!) by doing what your taxi driver did.

There's probably no reasoning with the second type - it's almost a waste of time to try.
Totally agree. Happened to me today. Driver couldn't overtake when he wanted, got frustrated and when I moved over further up the road when there was enough room for him to do so safely he buzzed past really close - then followed a row and further dangerous driving eg trying to turn left into me during this row. Whatever I did he was always going to overtake really close.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
I'm only miffed that you didn't credit my strapline in the vid :angry::tongue:

He obviously looked like he sat very comfortably inside his own little world. You can't tell from his reaction whether he'll cut up another cyclist or give them some consideration next time. My money's on the former. Perhaps if you'd gone to the drivers side and jabbed him hard in the nose that might have worked better.

You were far too calm, that's my only criticism :tongue:

Sorry! :blush: I did credit you in the youtube blurb though! To be fair most folk will probably think 'crackle? what crackle?....'

It's amazing, I find wearing the helmet camera creates a little bubble of zen (I must credit Jacomus with that one!). I know I am catching what the idiot is saying so I don't get so wound up about it.:becool:

Top Bottom