Cyclists Special 1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
domd1979 said:
Just been watching this by British Transport Films:

View: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1KxPjh4RM

...about a CTC special train outing from London to Rugby - fantastic. 16 mins, complete with Mr Cholmondley-Warner commentary, but worth a watch.

".....Rugby, ......who wants to go to Rugby?"

ha ha ha

sheddy

Legendary Member
and coming up next month on TV - Ian Hislop Goes off the Rails
Thursday 02 October 9:00pm - 10:00pm BBC4

Ian Hislop takes a look at the notorious Beeching Report of 1963, which led to the closure of a third of the nation's railway lines and stations and forced tens of thousands of people into the car and onto the road. He investigates the fallout from the plan, discovering what was lost to the British landscape, communities and ways of life when the railway map shrank. Ian travels from Cornwall to the Scottish borders meeting those responsible and those affected.

sheddy said:

Ian Hislop takes a look at the notorious Beeching Report of 1963, which led to the closure of a third of the nation's railway lines and stations and forced tens of thousands of people into the car and onto the road. He investigates the fallout from the plan, discovering what was lost to the British landscape, communities and ways of life when the railway map shrank. Ian travels from Cornwall to the Scottish borders meeting those responsible and those affected.
They plan eventually to re-open the main borders line, to try and encourage some people back out of their car.

simoncc

Fourteen years before man walked on the moon it was so easy to get a bike on a train.

Thirty nine years after man landed on the moon it is a bureaucraric nightmare.

That's progress!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smokin Joe said:
Great bit of film, thanks for the link.

Not a helmet or a triple chainset in sight and no-one died or had their knees explode. God, they were lucky bastards that day!

well most of the ride seemed pancake flat, and when not they all got off and walked…

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Only watched a bit (go to go do summat) ....
Love the baggy clobber, and pipes/cardigans approach! Also. the lass at 3mins 52, in the orange... I'd have been chasing her if I'd been around then! :biggrin:
Great film... will watch the rest later

Mr Phoebus

All those tiny aphids and flies trapped in all that group Brylcreem.

Way more potent than any Venus Flytrap.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My childhood sweetheart now lives in Northampton.... :biggrin: but she doesn't ride a bicycle. Neither was she in the film. Nor was I, for that matter. But I have been to Daventry. And Willesden.

simoncc

sheddy said:

Really? You mean that people loved their trains and stubbornly refused to buy cars until some nasty bureaucrat shut down their heavily used, profitable train lines and they just had to buy cars? I don't think that's quite how it happened.

Fnaar said:
Only watched a bit (go to go do summat) ....
Love the baggy clobber, and pipes/cardigans approach! Also. the lass at 3mins 52, in the orange... I'd have been chasing her if I'd been around then! :biggrin:
Great film... will watch the rest later

Funny - I thought that!:ohmy: Also liked the mount up at around 09:07mins...(person getting on bike - silly! :biggrin:)

I was five months old:wacko: we live in complicated times...

Top Bottom