"cyclists stay back" stickers, tfl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
stay_back_500_feet_im_masturbating.jpg

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm afraid I'm in the 'annoyed by them group'. I see them on lorries I'm going to be ridiculously careful around anyway, buses I'm unlikely to filter up the inside of and vans. OK, on the big lorries they might be useful to cyclists who need hitting with the clue bat, but most of them seem to be riding in their own world anyway and are unlikely to see/read the sign in the first place. On vans it's pretty much a license to drive like even more of an idiot. I guess you could put a positive spin on them and say they are like Baby on Board signs, which are best translated as 'warning, I'm going to be concentrating on the small child who might be in the car and not the outside world'. It does make me happy when I'm cut up by a van that hasn't got the sticker on, because at least they're not being a hypocrite about it :-) .

Cyclist33

I'm afraid I'm in the 'annoyed by them group'. I see them on lorries I'm going to be ridiculously careful around anyway, buses I'm unlikely to filter up the inside of and vans. OK, on the big lorries they might be useful to cyclists who need hitting with the clue bat, but most of them seem to be riding in their own world anyway and are unlikely to see/read the sign in the first place. On vans it's pretty much a license to drive like even more of an idiot. I guess you could put a positive spin on them and say they are like Baby on Board signs, which are best translated as 'warning, I'm going to be concentrating on the small child who might be in the car and not the outside world'. It does make me happy when I'm cut up by a van that hasn't got the sticker on, because at least they're not being a hypocrite about it :-) .

"Baby on Board" signs are one of my pet hates. I view them as just another grotesque status symbol - cum - desperate lunge for self-validation on the part of modern parents.

By what logic or moral imperative does having a child or not have any influence on whether or not one should consider whether or not to crash into someone's car?

"Baby on Board" signs are one of my pet hates. I view them as just another grotesque status symbol - cum - desperate lunge for self-validation on the part of modern parents.

By what logic or moral imperative does having a child or not have any influence on whether or not one should consider whether or not to crash into someone's car?
It USED to be for medical services in event of a crash to know that there was potentially a little person on board. The driver was supposed to only have it in when young kids/babies were on board and remove when not.

Then it all changed...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It USED to be for medical services in event of a crash to know that there was potentially a little person on board. The driver was supposed to only have it in when young kids/babies were on board and remove when not.

Then it all changed...

I think that was a load of bollox debunked by snopes years ago.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Just been googling and fond the snopes page. All it does is debunk the US person's reason for starting it. It doesn;t debunk the idea that it alerts (or at least used ) the emergency services.

There's no source I can find to support the notion that emergency services have ever placed any reliance on this notice to determine the occupants of a crashed vehicle.
The notice may be present on a car with no child in it, or may be absent in a car that does have a child in it. It's meaningless.
GC

I argree it's meaningless. That was, I believe the original intention from probably well meaning but incorrect parents and not the emergency services.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm afraid if there was one of those on a van near me it would be ... erm ... vandalised.

'Cyclists Stay Back' would quickly become "[insert company name] Hates Cyclists".

In fact, thinking about it - a can of yellow paint could do the job in a traffic light change.

Top Bottom