"cyclists stay back" stickers, tfl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I was driving in Birmingham today (first time I'd ever driven there) and saw great notices on the back of the buses, basically saying "drivers watch out for cyclists" (snappier than that but I was concentrating on the road!). That's more like it, no?

Ganymede

Veteran
I don't see what the big deal is here.
If it saves one naive, inexperienced rider form being squished then perhaps it has paid off.
I've got greater things to be concerned about.
But if it makes one naive, inexperienced motorist think that this is a valid instruction to be placed on small vans because cyclists should never overtake OR undertake anyone and are always responsible for anything that happens to them, then perhaps it has paid off in a completely different and unacceptable way...

jarlrmai

Veteran
Needs a picture of Gaz with a speech bubble saying "Do't go up there"

I do feel they are getting placed on some vehicles as an insurance policy, almost as if it's something else to be brought up in court, well he wasn't wearing high viz, or a helmet and I had a sticker.

martinclive

Über Member
They have arrived in Cambridge - we are definitely going to have to get some 'Motorists Stay back' jerseys........................
238.jpg

uclown2002

Guru
And how will you feel when someone you know is left hooked by a vehicle displaying the sticker and a court concludes that they were responsible because they failed to heed a fair warning that they hadn't even had time to see?
I don't believe for one minute that the level of responsibility is affected by the display of that sticker.

To my knowledge there have been three incidents other that the youtube clip I posted of cyclists who have done nothing wrong being admonished by drivers for "missing the sticker". The implication of the sticker is that any cyclist injured while filtering is at fault. This is not the case. Injudicious filtering is not a significant causal factor, usually the driver just failed to look properly, these stupid little stickers are an alibi for terrible drivers.

uclown2002

Guru
But if it makes one naive, inexperienced motorist think that this is a valid instruction to be placed on small vans because cyclists should never overtake OR undertake anyone and are always responsible for anything that happens to them, then perhaps it has paid off in a completely different and unacceptable way...
That seems a huge leap. The sticker may have limited value but surely it has been put there in good faith to reduce the possibility of an accident between vehicle and bike.
It's hardly likely to increase the possibility of an accident is it!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
(Makes more sense with the quote)
> I don't believe for one minute that the level of responsibility is affected by the display of that sticker.

In the drivers head? Or in the mind of a chancer defending their actions in court?

If it was about effectively warning cyclists, wouldn't tfl be making sure the signs weren't put on what are basically every day cars?

There's already anecdotal evidence of drivers believing the sticker gives them extra rights.

I would be stunned if the stickers weren't used in an attempt to justify actions and paint the cyclist in a bad light, and it's only a matter of time before they become a news byline on how irresponsible cyclists are.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That seems a huge leap. The sticker may have limited value but surely it has been put there in good faith to reduce the possibility of an accident between vehicle and bike.
It's hardly likely to increase the possibility of an accident is it!

I suppose that depends on how the driver whose vehicle is displaying it acts around cyclists.

GC

Reactions: _aD

Ganymede

Veteran
put there in good faith

I think it's bandwagon-jumping by drivers who either a) (charitably) haven't really thought it through but want to do the right thing or b) want to make sure those cyclists know, er, this, right, because... well.. cycling's dangerous, right, and, and, they all go through red lights and don't pay road tax, and, and, I would cycle myself if it weren't for all the cars but, you know, I can't be held responsible if people choose to put themselves in danger, I mean, I don't want to cause an accident and I don't understand all the isshoos but, right, this sticker is being promoted by tfl etc etc so they must know so I should have one on my very small van.

thefatcyclist

I have quite happily gone up the inside of lorries, busses, vans for the past 20 years in London and for 15 years previously in the North East without incident and will continue to do so on the proviso that I feel it is ok i.e.. I have seen the light turn red and I know I have plenty of time to get to the front of the queue or there is no left turn junction coming up, parking space etc. It is still according to the highway code rule 182 the responsibility of the person turning to check their mirrors to ensure it is clear to do so a sticker on your vehicle does not negate this.

Top Bottom