Cyclists "urged to get insurance"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm a CTC member so have insurance and I personally like knowing it's there. How a story which is basically "insurers want more people to take out insurance" gets onto the morning news however is quite baffling.

Fair play to the CTC guy on fivelive this morning who gave an effective numerical arguement about the difference in risk to insurers of cars and bikes, and didn't get dragged in by the stupid presenters question about RLJing. Not sure who it was, not the usual spokesman.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
CTC +1

Brandane

Legendary Member
A car drove into the back of my car last year , didnt do any damage as far as i could see and i was not hurt in anyway but just in case i get the details of the other driver and thinking i was doing the right thing told my Insurance company i would get the car checked. in the next 4 weeks i got almost 20 phone calls on my mobile phone and countless text all from "No win no fee" or as i like to call them "Leeches and parasites" solicitors.
I told every one of them to sod off and die , it would have been so easy to play along and get my £3000 whip lash pay out for no reason other than "well everyone does it" well no they don't all do it and to them who do - ******************* i wont put what i really think as its a family site .

+1. The money given out in compensation claims has to come from somewhere, so guess who has to pay for it?

Reactions: srw

Freddyflintstone

I was hit side on by a car at a junction. Police and ambulance involved.
My biggest mistake-
Did an enquiry on the Net for "No win no fee" etc"
A women rang. I said "will this cost me anything"
"NOT A PENNY" she stated
I received their "solicitors" paperwork
In it I read in the small print
They take 12% of any compensation paid to you
PLUS
They strongley advise me to take out insurance so if they don't win the case
THEY GET PAID
The paperwork went into file 13 and been hounded ever since with very strong worded solicitors letters

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Check if it's already included in your home insurance, some policies already have this sort of cover. If not then CTC or British Cycling are probably the best bets (affiliate to a club for CTC is cheaper than normal full membership but has the same insurance)

C

chillyuk

I have just gone through looking at TP insurance and found that the LCC offered a good deal for over 60's, unemployed, students and under 16's. £14 for annual membership which gives TP insurance and the usual legal advice. Of course one doesn't know how good they are until needing to use the insurance as cheapest isn't always the best. I've joined the LCC but hope I don't need the insurance. In case anyone is wondering you don't have to live in London to join. They say they have members all over including overseas.

Blue

Legendary Member
Most Home Contents policies will already have as much cover as most people need for liability and bike damage. Policies will normally cover the policy holder(name on policy) and any family member in premanent residence in the household. Cover for non fault injury and loss of earnings are not so common, but may be available.

Be aware that limits will apply, such as exclusions for racing or testing etc., or fixed sums per bike, with security requirements when the bike is not in use. If the limits don't suit you should talk to your insurer.

As always, read the policy to be sure that you know what is covered. After all, that's why you are given the document. Don't be the type to moan about small print just because you are too lazy to read the document to see if you need to pay to have it amended to better suit your needs.

As already stated, cycling organisations such as the CTC or your local club will often include some cover in their fees and this could also be checked.

Don't be put off by the people who go on about the insurers fleecing you - they don't. As has been said, the personal insurance market is very competitive and most insurers make their profits elsewhere. Riding on the open road without, at least, liability insurance is a fools game.

As for the people who bemoan the compulsion of the likes of Motor Insurance; are they for real? Who do they think would pick up the bill for the carnage on our roads? People would be left to fend for themselves and the days of the workhouse would see an unwelcome return. Compulsory insurance only exists in areas where the vulnerable are at the mercy of others on a large scale - Motor Insurance and Employers Liability insurance - and the need for financial provision is great. To bemoan that is to admit a personal uncaring attitude towards the misfiortune of others on the basis that it can't happen to you; it can, and it may!

Blue

Legendary Member
Its probably a good idea to get liability insurance but it doesn't harm to be rightly sceptical of claims made by the ABI. I am convinced it is in a cyclists interest to have insurance and convinced that compulsory insurance is only in the industry's interest. if it becomes compulsory they will make us pay through the nose like they do car insurance.

The stats came from the MIB, who know what they are talking about. The ABI comments may have been a bit wooly, but they seem well meaning and I don't think they should be dismissed.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Errr... Yes. That's the link that prompted the OP and the thread.

Blue's mostly right, with the caveat that some contents policies will exclude liability when you're riding a bike. Here's an example of an exclusion:
Liability for loss, damage or injury caused by or arising
out of the following:
a You owning, possessing, or using (other than as a
passenger) any mechanically or wind propelled or
assisted vehicle [...]
A lot also don't give you enough cover for bikes, with a limit of a few hundred quid unless you specify them explicitly.

He's also forgotten the rather obscure fact that nuclear power stations and horse-riding businesses have to have compulsory public liability insurance.

Blue

Legendary Member
Errr... Yes. That's the link that prompted the OP and the thread.

Blue's mostly right, with the caveat that some contents policies will exclude liability when you're riding a bike. Here's an example of an exclusion:

A lot also don't give you enough cover for bikes, with a limit of a few hundred quid unless you specify them explicitly.

He's also forgotten the rather obscure fact that nuclear power stations and horse-riding businesses have to have compulsory public liability insurance.
I'm not sure the exclusion you quote would exclude bikes - which, in the main, are people powered.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not sure the exclusion you quote would exclude bikes - which, in the main, are people powered.
Doh. Probably a good thing I don't deal with underwriting or claims, then.

Top Bottom